Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I forgot my administrator pass word and I was logged out. I

Customer Question
can't get in my Mac...
I forgot my administrator pass word and I was logged out. I can't get in my Mac. I do have a user logged on. What do I do ?
OS X 10.8.1
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
10/1/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 5 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Reboot and hold the Option key, select the Recovery HD to boot from, then run Disk Utility and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.

If all ok try restart and login again.
Great thank you. Now do I have a password or do I need to reset it?
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? Were you able to restart and login in ow?
Yes everything was fine. I restarted and I was logged in. I just want to take the password off.
You should not take the password off it will make your Mac less secure. Are you sure?
Well I can't remember it. So I can't change it
Well in that case you need to change it so you can install new software and updates etc..

Restart your MMaco with the Option key held down and choose Recovery HD in the startup screen. From the Utilities menu in the Mac OS X Utilities screen that appears, choose Terminal. In the Terminal window that appears enter “resetpassword” (without the quotes) and press Return. A Reset Password window will pop up. Select your startup volume in the top of the window and then, from the pop-up menu below, select a user account—Lee, for example.

In the fields below that enter and confirm your new password. If you like, you can enter a password hint in the appropriate field. When everything is configured to your satisfaction, click on Save. Now choose Restart from the Apple menu and your Mac will do exactly that and will use the new password you’ve created.
Why Bad Service rating..... what happened? Did you see my post, this is not a definite answer until I hear from you.... and that I am still here if not? What happened?
So sorry I must of hot the wrong face. I meant to hit the perfect happy face cause you help me out tremendously !
I'm so sorry. How can I fix this for you?
You can change that now thank you so much!! It will cancel the bad rating.
I am making a follow up because I think there is something wrong with this site. Too many customers just never come back now even after I fix their problem. Can you kindly let me know if you tried to Accept and rate my service or not please. Thank you.
Do you see Rate to Finish? If not can you take a screenshot of what you see and send it to me, thanks?

To take a screenshot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder. To take a selective screenshot hold Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 4, you will see a crosshair drag it over the area you want to take a picture of and let go.

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: pearl
password: macmedic

Need more instructions?
Can you at least tell me if you are getting my messages at all?
Just checking to see how things went.
Mike, Mac Medic