Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My macbook pro died yesterday because it wouldnt charge.

My macbook pro died yesterday...
My macbook pro died yesterday because it wouldn't charge. I figured maybe something was wrong with the power cord, so I brought it home to charge with my other charger. The charger won't light up when plugged into the MacBook Pro (although it works fine when plugged into my personal MacBook) and the computer will not turn on. What do I do?
9/2/2012
David, Mac Support Specialist
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Which type of MacBook Pro is it? Does it have a latch on the base to remove the battery cover?

Thanks in advance.
David.

It's my school computer given to me by my school district, but since it's a long holiday weekend I can't get a hold of any of our it people. It's a 2009 Macbook Pro I believe. No it doesn't have a latch to remove the battery.

Have a close look at the MagSafe port. It is magnetic, and has spring loaded pins. Use a magnifying glass if you need to, and get a tooth pick and remove any debris. Also press the pins to see that they spring out.

Then if the MagSafe charging light doesn't appear when connected (give it a few seconds) we will try the SMC reset.

Please get back to me for that.

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist

I did all of that with the cord, but again it is not the cord...I have tried two cords. The cord I am currently using works perfectly fine when plugged into my personal computer. My husband just got it to light up green when plugged into the Macbook Pro. Is that a good sign? What do we do now?

That's a good sign. I also wanted you to check the port, where it plugs in. As its magnetic it sometimes gets blocked by small pieces of debris.

You can also press the battery indicator on the side, and see if the green LEDs light.

What color is the plug now? Do you think we need to try SMC?

Kind regards,
David.

I did check the port as well and cleaned it with a q-tip and toothpick. It took quite a bit of finagling to get it to even light up green in the first place when plugged back in even after checking and cleaning the port and cord end.

The green LEDs light on the side, but it's only one of the lights blinking.

The plug color is still green. I'm not sure what a SMC is?

The SMC is the System Management Controller, and it controls the power to the logic board, battery etc.

The blinking light means it is below power to start up, so it might just need 30 minutes before pressing that gives one or two solid green LEDs. Then it is OK to start up.

We will reset the SMC anyway, as it is safe, and does nothing unless the SMC is corrupted.

Here is the instruction article from Apple. You need to follow the section on 'Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own'. Click there to see the 5 step procedure.

Please get back to me if unsure, or if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
David.

I tried the SMC reset, but it doesn't seem to have worked? The fifth step says to turn the computer on? I did press the power button after following the previous four steps, but nothing happened? Is that because the battery is too low? The LED on the power cord is still green and has not changed to the orange light for charging.

The power is still too low.

The power adapter for a MacBook is smaller than those for MacBook Pro.

Do you still have the MacBook Pro adapter, is it bigger?

Check the plug with q tip and toothpick, and connect it.

Let me know how it goes.

Sincerely,
David.

I don't have the MacBook Pro charger, but I've used my Macbook charger with it before....My macbook is an '08 I think if that helps? The charge port in the sides of the computers seem to be the exact same size.

The port size is exactly the same, but the wattage is higher, and the size of the adapter block is bigger.

It will take longer to charge using the MacBook charger, but should charge. It is better to use the correct configuration of the larger adapter. Is it gone, or can you get it?

Any change in the power LEDs on the side or the plug led color?

Sincerely,
David.

I can run and get the pro charger and try it, I'm just nervous to take this one out because it took quite a bit of messing around to get the LED to light up on the cord in the first place.

The plug led color is still green and the power LEDs still show one blinking light.

Please don't worry about taking the adapter out. Please try the Pro charger, but check the pins in the plug etc.

Sincerely,
David.

Okay I'll run and get that cord then...What do I do if it won't light up like it was yesterday then? Even after I've cleaned it etc.?

Then we can exchange the half of the chord that goes to the wall socket to see if that is the issue.

Regards,
David.

We had some success with the Pro cord....the LED on the cord is now orange! The side LED's are still just the one blinking light.

That's what you want, that's great. It may just need 15-30 minutes charging time before you can power it on.

Please feel free to get back to me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
David.

Sounds good. Should I do the SMC reset when it has more charge, or just try to start it?

No need for the SMC reset, just check the LEDs on the side and when one stays on without blinking, turn it on.

Best regards,
David.

How long do should it take to get the initial charge? The side led is still only one blinking light.

It should not take that long, in fact try turning it on now.

If same then yes, we can try the SMC again.

Sincerely,
David.

I tried the SMC and got nothing.....

Then there is nothing to do but wait another half hour and check the plug is still orange, and the power LEDs, and try turn it on.

Sincerely,
David.

What's the verdict if it still won't turn on after that? :S

If it still doesn't work, leave it to charge for 12 hours and try again. At that stage you can try pressing and holding the power button. You might hear a long beep three times and keep holding it, it might be a stuck firmware update.

Otherwise there is an issue that cannot be fixed without repair, I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX doesn't come to that.

Also plug the charger directly to the wall socket.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist