Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

What is needed to transfer files from a iMac to a iPad?

What is needed to transfer music files from my iMac to my iPad? I've tried many applications that I can't even remember which ones, but the basic response is that I can transfer practically any file, except music. Yet, music is what I need.

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer. I am excited to get started with you. What kind of music are you trying to transfer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Music files. These are all copies of non-copyrighted CD's.

Are they currently in iTunes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I remember going to iTunes, but finding nothing but invitations to buy music. As I indicated, I have the music I want on my iMac and want to be able to play it on my iPad. Copying the files from one to the other without losing them on the source would be the preferred solution.

The only way to get songs to your iPad is through iTunes.

1. Locate all your music
2. Open iTunes
3. Drag and drop songs into iTunes
4. Allow songs to copy
5. Once it is done copying
6. Connect your iPad
7. You should see it in the left side bar
8. Click on your iPad and choose the music tab (located on the top menu bar)
9. Choose the music you would like to sync
10. Press sync.

Then you're all done.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

On my iMac in iTunes, I now have the music selection both in 'Music' tab under library, as well as under 'Devices/Music' where my iPad is shown in the tile left side bar. I highlighted the songs I wish to sync first in the iPad section - then alternatively in the iMac library, but search as I might I cannot find a 'Sync' button to press, neither on the iMac nor on the iPad screen in iTunes. Am I going blind?

It is located in the bottom right corner.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is in the bottom right corner of what screen? In iTunes on iMac there is nothing in the bottom right corner. In iTunes on iPad, there is 'Downloads' and if I go there, I find the legal terms from the world over, showing that we are more or less in sync already. But, no music in sync.

I apologize if I was not clear. In iTunes -

1. Click on the 'Device' tab (located in the left side bar)
2. You should see a picture of your iPad
3. If you do not see a picture of your iPad - click on the 'Summary' tab in the upper menu bar

4. You will see a sync button at the bottom right corner of the 'Summary' page in iTunes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Great! Thanks! Now I have the iMac all the tunes under music in 'Devices'. My iPad however, now comes in the next question - Where on my iPad (in iTunes?), do I find my music to play? Downloads still gives me nothing but legal terms, Music gives me endless options to buy.

You should see a "Music" Icon. It has a fire orange color.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Where? I assume I look on the iPad in iTunes. I have a music icon on the bottom left. It is black to begin with and turns blue when I tap it. It takes me into the store. I scroll - there are no orange buttons.

Okay, let's try a spotlight search. Keep swiping your finger to the right until a search field pops up. Type in 'Music', you should see an orange application - click on that.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I got it! The most beautiful sound I ever heard. Thanks. But it is not in iTunes at all, is it? Anyway: it is accessible.