David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

Iphone and IPOD give "Unable to join the network" but only

Iphone and IPOD give "Unable to join the network" but only on one of the 3 wireless routes I have in the house. All are configured for the same network name, SSID channels have been changed already as well. I only have the problem in the upstairs rooms. They both connect perfectly to the same wireless network downstairs. The wireless router upstairs has already been replaced by an other one, but that still does not solve the issue

Both iPod and iPhone don't connect to one router, suggests the issue is related to the router.

First disconnect all the working routers from power.

Then in Settings on the iPod and iPhone, tap Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

When they reset try to join the network of the problem router.

If it fails please get back to me.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi David,

I had already replaced that one router with a different one, powered down the entire network and devices and restarted everything but that did not help. I've use inSSIDer to find the best possible channels and have set them to 2, 6 and 10. Works perfectly downstairs where inSSIDer sees only my network and one or two more, but upstairs it is seeing up to 10 different wireless networks, some with equal or higher signal strength than my own routers. I'm assuming that that is part of the root cause, but I have no idea how to resolve it. I have a fourth router I could install to boost the WIFI signal strength, but than I run into conflicts with my own SSID channels. Problem inside the house is that there is a lot of steel reenforced concrete which pushes me to install multiple routers.

I'm open to suggestions but after spending already 3 weekends trying to reconfigure I'm about ready to give upFrown

thanks

Walter

Hi Walter,

While senior support at Apple we took the difficult Airport calls, and I have seen this type of problem before. After extensive troubleshooting, the best resolution is to run an Ethernet cable from downstairs into the router upstairs, and not to use wireless bridging.

I'm not sure if that's how you have it done already though?

Thanks in advance, and I'm just starting so am here all day.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi David

All routers are connected via Ethernet through a 24 port switch. No wifi bridging.

Thanks
Walter
Hi Walter,

You should set all three routers using same SSID, channel, security type and password.

If same, give the router upstairs a different SSID, and try to connect, to test.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi David,

I always heard that you should not give all wifi routers the same channel?

In any case, the setup was all routers using the same SSID, security type (WEP) and password. Only the channels were different. Using inSSIDer I found that 2, 6 and 10 had the least interference with the other WIFI in the area.

As you suggested I changed the SSID of the router upstairs (added an A to the name) and Mac, Ipod, Iphone were able to connect. Only the PC now is unable to connect to this network. I tried with both a windows 7 and a windows XP latptop. They can connect downstairs to the old network name, but not upstairs to the changed name.

Was it the intention to leave the two separate network names or was this only intended as a test?

By the way, when I was looking into the problem earlier I read an article somewhere that on the DHCP server WMM should be activated for Apple devices. It was not active so I did activate it.

Thanks

Walter

Hi Walter,

No changing the name was to test. Try putting the name back the same and fixing the same channel on all routers?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi David,

Everything seems to work OK now. I found the reason why the Windows PC were not able to connect upstairs as well. The router had authentication type shared key. I changed that to open system now and everything seems to work.

So I should leave all routers on the same channel now? Any article I'm reading on the internet states that they should be different and spread as good as possible. Example extract below:

Make sure the wireless settings of the second router is the same as the first router. Same SSID, same security type, same password. The only difference will be the channel. Moreover, we'll want to make sure the channels are sufficiently far apart.

I took this from a random blog, but they all state the same.

Thanks again

Walter

Hi Walter,

There is no reason I know why a roaming network with an Ethernet backbone like yours should put different channels on each router.

If it is a wireless distribution it should be the same channel, so that's what it should be here, plus this waxworks and different channels don't.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi David,

OK, I'll leave the settings as is as it all seems to work now.

Thanks again for your help. We can finish this question.

Have a nice day

Regards

Walter

That's great, have a nice day!

Don't forget to rate the service ;)

Best wishes,
David.