Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

What can cause an iPad to no longer charge?

My iPad won't charge anymore...

My iPad won't charge anymore. I bought a new charger and it still won't charge.

8/22/2012
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist

Give this a try first and let me know if this does not work:

Try a hard reset by holding down the Sleep/Wake + Home button simultaneously for 10 seconds or more and shortly you will see an Apple logo appears on the screen.

We just tried it and it didn't work.

Plug the charger into a known good wall socket and let the iPad charge for at least 15 minutes.

Then try this again and note and note any details when you reply back please.

Reply back with any details as to how the iPad responds to the above procedure.

The iPad just died, it's still not charging.

Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist

Did you try the experts last suggestion?

Plugging the iPad for 15 minutes then holding the home and sleep/wake button for up to 1 minute.

When the iPad's battery is completely drained you need to force a restart of the device by using that method. But you must allow the iPad to sit on the charger for about 10 minutes before trying it.

Yea, but the problem is that it isn't getting any power at all.

Understand.

How long have you had the iPad?

2-3 years

Ok,

If the power reset option which was recommended to try does not work. Then you may have hardware failure or the charging port is not properly working.

Apple provides 1-year warranty on all of there devices. However, you are out of that period unless you purchased Apple Care. My recommendation is to find the nearest Apple store and bring in your iPad. The store is usually very good with giving customers a one-time no cost replacement when out of warranty.

If there isn't an Apple store near you contact Apple Customer service. Explain the issue and they may do the same if not charge for a trade-in replacement.

Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
featured content

More about iPad not charging                            

When an iPad stops charging, there are several things that could be affecting its performance.
iPad

• The first thing you can check is the condition of the USB cord and the adapter. If either appears damaged, using another charger may help.
  • If charging in the wall, possibly try another outlet. If charging through a new computer, there could be an issue either between different operating systems communicating with each other, or the iPad not recognizing the new computer.
  • Understand that if a computer goes to “sleep” or gets shut off, your iPad will stop charging.
  • Check the condition of the port on the iPad itself. If it looks damaged, it might need to be replaced. The replacement of the port might be covered under warranty, but you can check with an Expert or on Apple’s website to be sure.
  • Another problem that has occurred with iPads is a software glitch in which the lightning bolt icon to indicate charging does not appear, yet the battery percentage goes up.
  • Lastly, the battery could need replacing. After 2-3 years, battery life on the iPad starts to decline noticeably, depending on how well the tablet was cared for.

iPad warranty

If the iPad has a problem with its internal hardware, it may be covered during the warranty period, which lasts one year from the date of purchase. It may also be covered under Apple Care, provided it has been purchased. The battery, charging block, and USB cord are all covered under warranty. Apple Care provides additional coverage on the item including accidental damage, such as the screen being broken. In many cases, however, if the screen is broken you may need to pay a deductible. The amount of the deductible can vary depending on the model of the iPad. Additional information about warranties and Apple Care can be found on Apple’s site.

Cris
Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist