Frederick S., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Worked with Mac OS X for two years as a support technician.
33925084

The original, iPAD wont turn on or charge. Whats up? Can

The original, iPAD won't turn on or charge. What's up? Can not afford NEWEST version; need to keep this i- dinosaur working. Thanks
Hi! My name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you! Do not forget to rate my answer quality before you go. Let's get started!

In this situation, it's best to do a hard restart (don’t worry; you won’t lose any data).

Please go ahead and hold the Home button (on the bottom center) and the Power button at the same time for 10-15 seconds...

Then you should be back up and running.

However, if that does not work, you'll want to try:
1) a different outlet; then
2) a different charging cable and plug

If neither of those work, then, indeed, it is something mechanical inside.

You can take it to an Apple store and they can try to troubleshoot/diagnose without charge for you.

You can also purchase an Apple Certified Refurbed iPad 2 with a 25% or so discount off retail:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad2_wi_fi_3g

Further, most applications now aren't compatible with the iPad 1. The newest iOS to be released in the next month or two, iOS 6, is not designed for iPad. You will want to consider upgrading soon, otherwise you may miss out on important feature updates as well as new applications that just won't work on iPad 1.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt response.
1. I have tried different electrical outlets & cords.

Your information, instructions and advice were all easily understood.

Not your fault that Apple was greedy and got thousands to purchase the 1st iPad, only to come out with a BETTER version 6 mos. later. $$$ is not readily available to keep UPDATING - this sucks.

Perhaps the Smithsonian or MOMA will want my original iPAD to display in their museums; as an example of brilliant technical communication innovation in both function/design. The Harvard School of Biz should consider this biz model for keeping $$$ streaming in. New technology/innovation is addictive and necessary to have access to information as well as communication for any number of reasons.

Thank you for your assistance Frederick S.
Sincerely,
Jacquelyn Doi
Hi Jacquelyn

I totally agree with you. I was unbelievably surprised by how quickly they outdated their own product.

You may rate my service at this time. Thank you.

iPad won’t turn on explained

If you’ve discovered that your iPad won’t turn on, going to Apple for repairs may be avoidable. There are steps you can take that could potentially restore your device to working condition.

If your iPad won’t turn on, resetting might correct it

To reset the tablet, just hold down the Home button (at the bottom center of the device) and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time. Keep holding both buttons down until the tablet resets and restarts. This can take 10-15 seconds.

An iPad won’t turn on if the battery is too depleted

Often, Apple tablets will show a black screen when the battery has become too drained for the device to even display the empty battery symbol. Ways of resolving this issue include:

• Trying out a different electrical outlet