Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

i have down loaded Mountain Lion 3 times that part works fine.

When I get about 3...
i have down loaded Mountain Lion 3 times that part works fine. When I get about 3 minutes into the 34 minute installation it crashes and I get a message that the hard disk is damaged and cannot be repaired. When I boot-up again with the startup disk everything is fine.I am new to Apple Technology and am on a relatively new (Feb) Mac Pro.
Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7.

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated
8/1/2012
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

To clarify, you have a MacBook Pro notebook or a Mac Pro tower?

Also, what specific version of OS X are you currently running?

I am on a notebook OSX 10.7.4
Thanks.

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo(or the “Option” key at boot and select the “Recovery” HD option in the boot menu).

Wait for “Mac OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar.

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop. Now, try installing Mountain Lion again.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.
I tried it 3 times and the repair disk crashes about a minute in and wants a reformat and restore. I was setup on Apples regular back up system with a drive with 500 GB external HD. I have never had to use it so I don't know anything about it.. This is starting to sound a bit complex so you will have to take me through it slowly step by step - hold my hand so to speak.
Okay, it sounds like you have a major issue with the hard drive then. Hopefully, it is just a software issue (usually is in these types of cases) and will be easy to recover from.

If I understand correctly, you have an external drive that is being backed up to automatically via Time Machine? Please click the Apple logo in the menubar and choose System Preferences. Then select Time Machine. What does it list as the latest backup time?

I think you are right. Watching the toy of errors appeared software related and things are obviously somewhat working as I am on with you. This might explain the periodic problems I have been having with Mac mail. Anyway Time Machine says available 419.94 of 499.76
Oldest March 28th

Latest today 1:50

Next 3:50 today so it appears to be every 2 hours.

Okay, good. Sounds like Time Machine is working as expected.

Do you have another computer to contact me on if you run into trouble during the recovery process?
Yes I have a lenovo with windows 7 so I presume I could get to you through the Hotmail email route
Great, just wanted to make sure you didn't get in the middle of it and get stuck. You can also use this link to come straight back to the conversation:

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/6zcu4-down-loaded-mountain-lion-times-part-works-fine.html

Give me a few minutes and I will prepare something step by step that covers the bases to get your through this.
Okay I will print it off as I am tied to the Mac at the moment. I can work with it tonight but have a 4am flight out in the morning and won't be available until Mon. and then can work on it if need be Tues. and Wed. before my next trip.
If all goes well, this shouldn't be a long process at all - particularly since everything is being restored from backup.

When you installed Lion, it should have created a recovery partition on your internal hard drive.

Shutdown your Mac.

Shutdown your Mac.

Wait for “Mac OS X Utilities” menu to appear. (DO NOT INSTALL)

Select "Erase" from the row of tabs along the top.

Make sure the Format is listed as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
and the name remains "Macintosh HD" (or whatever you had previously labeled it)

Then click Erase.

When it is finished, click "Disk Utility" in the menubar and select Quit.
-
Wait for “Mac OS X Utilities” menu to appear.
-

Now choose "Restore From Time Machine Backup" and then click Continue on the next screen.

You'll be prompted to select the disk where your backups are. Even if there’s only one, you must click it to select it and choose Continue.

Next, choose which of the backups you want. You should choose the newest backup available. and click Continue.

You're then prompted to select a destination (your internal Macintosh HD) and click Restore.

This may be take some time, but your Mac should be restored exactly as it was at the time of the backup you selected. When finished, your Mac should start up normally.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further at any time.

Thanks and good luck,

John T. F., Mac Druid
The erasing and the reinstallation seemed to go just fine.All programs seem to work as before. When I went to install Mountain Lion I got the message that I did the 1st an 2nd time I tried to down load as it suggested. ie something to the effect that it can't be verified and to get another copy from iTunes. Before I does this again I wanted to check with you. I don't want to be loading stuff on top things (maybe this is what I did the first time? Any further suggestions?
It's possible the previously downloaded copy was damaged due to the hard drive issues. I would recommend running the disk check again just to eliminate that possibility.

Shutdown your Mac.

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

If all checks out OK, then delete that Mountain Lion installer in the Applications folder and try downloading one more time.
Sorry I seemed to have disappeared but I had to scurry out of town for a funeral for the last couple of days. Everything seems to be working well with Mountain Lion now and I appreciated the prompt service and advise on reformatting and using Time Machine. Many thanks.

Peter
Hi Peter, sorry to hear about your loss.

However, I'm glad to hear everything else is working as expected.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further at any time.

John T. F., Mac Druid