Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

If I cant remember the lock code on my iphone, how do I reset

Customer Question

If I can't remember the lock code on my iphone, how do I reset it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, the only way to get out of it is to restore the iPhone to factory settings.

Open iTunes in the computer and connect the iPhone. Now, on the iPhone, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo. The very moment you see the apple, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec. Your computer should now give a message that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode and needs to be restored.

Restore the iPhone now and finally select the option "set up as a new iPhone".

Let me know if you have any difficulty.

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The message I am getting from itunes is "Itunes can not connect to iphone because it is locked with a passcode"
That is how it will be until you restore the phone to factory settings.

Follow the exact procedure as below.

{If you still get the message that the iphone is locked with a passcode, just click on cancel/ok, without taking your finger off the home button). We should get a message in the computer that it has detected an iphone in recovery mode.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. I did that and clicked cancel while still holding the home button. The phone goes to voice control and says no match found. The message about recovery mode is not coming up.
What do you see on the phone screen?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Enter passcode

The phone is not yet in recovery mode. If it is in recovery mode, you will see an itunes logo and a USB cable.

let's try it differently. Disconnect your iphone from the computer.

Now, on the iPhone, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo. The VERY moment you see the apple, let go off the power button, but keep on holding the home button for another 10-15 sec.

It should now display a USB cable and an itunes logo. WITHOUT taking your finger off the home button, connect it to the computer now.

let's see whether your computer recognize it in recovery mode
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it it still doing the same thing.
Isn't your iphone screen showing a USB cable and an itunes logo, after following the procedure? Are you at least getting an apple logo (if not, it could be because one of the buttons is damaged).

That is strange. let's try it this way. Enter the wrong passcode 3-5 times. The iphone will get disabled.

Now, try the procedure and see whether you can get the iphone into recovery mode.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it is not showing the usb cable and an itunes logo. I am getting the apple logo. I tried again with it disabled. It is still doing the same thing.
When you get the apple logo, take your finger off the power button (but at no stage you should take the finger of the home button until you get it into recovery mode)

let me check whether I can get a video to best help you.
just check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTcKMZfyfk
just check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuulql2u37U&feature=related