Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Imac computer. While reading my email provided by Entourage

Customer Question

Imac computer. While reading my email provided by Entourage 2008 I get a message to update Entourage. I update and find that all I have is one message Welcome to Entourage 2008. That's it. All the folders where you save emails are empty.
My mail is set up so that I can save my mail to my hard drive and also save mail to the different folders on Entourage. Earthlink is my internet provider.
I call Earthlink and ask for help finding the lost folders and they refer me to Apple. Apple then refers me Microsoft. I had agreed to all 3 tech services permission to invade my computer to find the missing folders. One company takes the calls in Indonesia and bills you and the tech support is in the states. English is bad and the connection sounded as if a hurricane hid the island. My personal opinion, the update messed with my account settings. Please help and speak English. I have used Just Answer before and did not know you offered tech support on Macs
Rich
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I already wrote 2 paragraphs to your company and explained my problem to 4 individuals from Apple,Microsoft,Earthlink,
and another company in Indonesia.

Optional Information:
Browser: Safari

Already Tried:
Nothing. Everyone is avoiding the problem. No one wants to answer my questions. I get dropped lines from Indonesia and Apple blames Entourage. Entourage blames Earthlink. I am exhausted explaining what I see as simple solution to recovering my lost folders in Entourage email. Entourage ask me to update and I did. The update came back "Welcome to ***** 2008" I already have that version. Lost all existing mail and folders. Any homicide cop could find my mail. "account settings".

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You are the 3rd person from your company that is offering me help. I will not write my problem a 3rd time. Apple, Microsoft,Earthlink all begged off. I believe during the upgrade the account settings were disturbed. As I keep saying, If I murdered my wife the local police could resolve this in minutes. Apple even knows where to go since it's their equipment but pass the buck.

Optional Information:
Product: iMac
Software (if necessary): OS X

Already Tried:
nothing, waiting to here from the many tech advisors at "just answer"

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You keep starting new questions you have to stay on the question you start. Did you run the Disk Utility as I suggested?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so quit Entourage then hold down the Option key and open Entourage, this will open the Microsoft Database Utility, rebuild the database then quit when done and open Entourage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Same problem. No folders and the welcome message to Entourage.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
When you opened the Database Utility was there more than one Identity listed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HD icon 500 GB St3500641A

HD icon Macintosh HD
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No the Database Utility:

Quit Entourage then hold down the Option key and open Entourage, this will open the Microsoft Database Utility....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Main identity Today
Main identity [backed up 2012-07-02 Today
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Go to the Spotlight icon at the top right of your screen and type in Microsoft User Data is there more than one found?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No results found in spotlight.

I went to Entourage account set up and it had nothing.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I have been assuming the email account was Earthilink but now I see you only said they were your Internet provider is your account Earthlink or Apple?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Earthlink.net
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a backup?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a small external back up. Entourage has an Account Settings with no info. Would that be any concern?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
A Time Machine backup?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have it set up. Is it hard to do?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Setting it up now won't help it would have had to be on already to recover your data. I'm afraid all you can do is setup the account again, go here for instructions:

http://support.earthlink.net/articles/browsers/mac-os-x---how-to-set-up-entourage-to-send-and-receive-email-v2.php
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Why didn't you ask me an hour ago if I had a back up? I mentioned to you in my first message that account settings might need set up and now you are saying go to earthlink support for help.
You have experience with Macs and had me all over the place trying to resolve the problem. You just wasted 2 hours of OUR time. My first question would have been"Do you have a backup"?

I had a lot of things to do today and spent all day dealing with computer companys and still have no answer. I guess it back to India to get the answers.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I don't understand.. we did a lot more than that but I assumed you did not have a backup at the start since you already talked to all those other folks and they would have asked, so I was right I just thought I would check. If I had asked at the beginning you would have said no and I would have done excatly as I did. What is your problem. I sent you to the setup instructions for Entourage would you rather a pasted all that here. I am opting out I don't wish to work with you any longer, Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1st mistake never assume. How do you know if they asked me if I had a back up? You answered your own question. I mentioned "account setup" at the beginning and you had me going everywhere. Account set up does not include a lot of information. Now you know why I mentioned all those other so called service techs. I'm back to where I started no thanks to you.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
There would be NO DIFFERENCE in what I asked you to do whether I asked you about a backup at the beginning or not YOU DON"T HAVE ONE, that is my point. The link I gave you has ALL the information you need except your email address and password ***** of course if you don't know that only Earthlink can help you. I tried to recover your data because Earthink accounts are POP and setting it up again will not get your old email back only the new mail.