Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My iPAD does not show a Software uodate switch under the Settings/General

Customer Question
window between About and Usage. Should...
My iPAD does not show a Software uodate switch under the Settings/General window between About and Usage.
Should this update switch be installed and is that covered by any warranty?
iPAD was purchased 11/30/11.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Vinod Menon, Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist

Can you please give me the software version on your ipad?

You can find that by going to settings > general > about

Thank You
Vinod
Version 4.3.5 (8L1)
Thank you, Paul.

For the "software update" option to show up between about and usage, the ipad should have a software version of 5.0 or higher. You are having 4.3.5 and that is the reason you don't see the software update option.

Here, we need to update the ipad to the latest version. Then you can find the software update embedded between about and usage.

To update the ipad, follow the steps.

Open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad. Your ipad name would now be listed to the left side of the itunes, below "devices". Click on the ipad name and now, to the middle of the screen, you will find an option "check for updates". Update your ipad and let me know whether this resolves your issue.

Let me know if you find any difficulty. Rate me only after we finish our conversation.
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist

I need to try this later. I assume I must connect via usb to my desktop computer and then access iTunes. Is that correct?

Unfortunately I have an appointment right now and will try by 2:00PM my time and then respond to you.

Thanks.

PaulF Posoli

No problem, take your own time.

You are correct. You need to connect the ipad to the computer via a USB.

My itunes program does not show :devices'. it appears to be only a way to donload music.

is this the incorrect iTunes?

sorry for the delay.. It was too late here when you replied and I had gone asleep.

Let's uninstall and reinstall itunes. Go to the control panel and uninstall itunes, quicktime, apple software update, apple mobile device support, apple application support and bonjour. Now restart the computer and install itunes from

www.apple.com/itunes/download

Now connect your ipad and check whether "devices" appear to the left side.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
Your instrux didn't change my software to 5.0.
At this time my email has been hacked and all my contacts have received a distress email in my name,
Need to fix that and then I will try this again.

Could. Be several days until I can reset my email.
After you reinstalled the itunes, is your ipad recognized by the itunes?

And have you clicked on "check for updates"? I need to know this so that I can go for the next steps.

Please tell me a convenient time for you (and the time zone you are in) so that I will make sure I sit with you to get this resolved.
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist