Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I dropped my ipod touch now the screen is black and it wont

come on, what should i...
I dropped my ipod touch now the screen is black and it wont come on, what should i do?
6/23/2012
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Customer:

Is there anything i can do to fix it without having to buy a new one?

MacTechTrainer :

I am sorry to read that-

MacTechTrainer :

Now in regards XXXXX XXXXX screen going black

MacTechTrainer :

have you tried connecting your iPod Touch to a computer with iTunes installed to see if iTunes still at least recognizes your iPod?

Customer:

No but when i connect it to my computer the real time player come up on my computer.

MacTechTrainer :

Real Time Player I'm afraid is a standalone software media player and would not have any association to your iPod Touch being seen with iTunes

MacTechTrainer :

do you have iTunes installed already on your computer or no?

Customer:

no

MacTechTrainer :

Hold on

MacTechTrainer :

I have not completed assisting you yet

Customer:

O Sorry

MacTechTrainer :

please do not rate us until you have provided us more time to assist you

MacTechTrainer :

its ok

MacTechTrainer :

but we are very focused because we want to rate higher in providing you the customer service you deserve

MacTechTrainer :

so continuing on,

MacTechTrainer :

because I have an iPod Touch too, so I know exactly what you have and how it works,

MacTechTrainer :

is the screen cracked in anyway where you cannot see anything but a black screen or is there something trying to show on your screen, but is too distorted to view?

Customer:

The screen is not crack,its just black and when you plug in to charge its beeps like its charging but the screen is still black.

MacTechTrainer :

ok

MacTechTrainer :

let me have you try this procedure below, to see if we can work to help you get your iPod Touch back to normal:

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

Here is what you need to do:

• To perform a hard reset, press and hold your Sleep button (located at top of iPod) and Home Menu button (located at bottom, middle of iPod), for approximately 10 seconds.
• Once your screen goes black, release both keys. (If you see a white Apple logo before you release the keys you have held the keys to long and will need to start the reset process once again)
• The next screens you should see after the black screen, is the Apple logo screen followed by the main screen.

MacTechTrainer :

this process is one of the true troubleshooting steps

Customer:

I tried that and still nothing.

MacTechTrainer :

to help you get a non-functioning iPod Touch back to working again if possible

MacTechTrainer :

try that for me just once more if you would

Customer:

still nothing

MacTechTrainer :

Ok and I am trying to recall, you said you do or do not have iTunes installed on your computer?

Customer:

do not

MacTechTrainer :

Ok

MacTechTrainer :

and prior to dropping your iPod, did you have any data you put on your iPod Touch, like purchased Apps and songs from within the iPod, by way of the iTunes Apps Store?

Customer:

yes

MacTechTrainer :

the good thing there is whether those Apps and songs were free or purchased, you always get them back if you ever have to restore your iPod Touch

MacTechTrainer :

so

Customer:

I have another computer here now and im downloading itunes.

MacTechTrainer :

what i would recommendnow

MacTechTrainer :

Excellent

MacTechTrainer :

lol- you are a step ahead of me

Customer:

lol

MacTechTrainer :

that is spot on

MacTechTrainer :

So you are thinking almost like I am

MacTechTrainer :

if you can connect your iPod Touch to a newly installed iTunes, hopefully, iTunes will recognize

MacTechTrainer :

your iPod Touch

MacTechTrainer :

which means we can try what is known as a Factory Restore

Customer:

i wouldnt say that im not that good with this kinda thing.

MacTechTrainer :

this will I have to say, wipe all the data from your iPod

MacTechTrainer :

but if we can get your iPod back to working again

MacTechTrainer :

like I said earlier, it won't matter about the loss apps and songs

MacTechTrainer :

iTunes via your Apple ID account

Customer:

i really dont care as long as i can get it back to normal

MacTechTrainer :

will recognize you have already purchased the Apps and will allow you to get all of those purchased apps and songs back for free

MacTechTrainer :

Exactly

MacTechTrainer :

so let me know when itunes finishes installing

Customer:

k its almost done

MacTechTrainer :

no worries, you just take your time

MacTechTrainer :

does it say however, how many minutes you have remaining?

Customer:

NO! lol

MacTechTrainer :

lol- I was wondering- darned if I could remember that step

MacTechTrainer :

but that's ok

MacTechTrainer :

as long as it is completing the installation is all that matters

Customer:

im very impatient.lol

MacTechTrainer :

now, I DO want to talk you about something regarding this process

MacTechTrainer :

and lol - thanks- I am going to NEED your patience here

Customer:

k

MacTechTrainer :

IF, we cannot get your iPod Touch to restore and show up its display again, I for one will have definitely classify your product' digitizer and backlight screen as damaged

MacTechTrainer :

I need to let you know that first

MacTechTrainer :

and yes

MacTechTrainer :

I know what you said, which is why you are herr

MacTechTrainer :

"here"- that you don't want to have to take this product in to be fixed or repaired and have to pay for it

MacTechTrainer :

so I understand, I would be the same way, so I do NOT blame your thought process here

MacTechTrainer :

but what if this is damaged and you DO need to have it fixed, repaired or replaced

MacTechTrainer :

would be willing to know what options exist for you?

MacTechTrainer :

I need your ok to continue on here, because there are some repair options available that will not cost you an arm and a leg like you may think in regards XXXXX XXXXX this iPod Touch back to it working functionality

MacTechTrainer :

and you do not necessarily have to go through Apple to get it fixed either

MacTechTrainer :

would be willing to know more?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

ive got itunes installed

MacTechTrainer :

Good

MacTechTrainer :

ok let's see what happens here first

MacTechTrainer :

then I can consider explaining "other options" if necessary

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

Ok so now that you have iTunes installed, launch it and then connect your iPod Touch into your computer

MacTechTrainer :

We need to see if iTunes recognizes your iPod Touch

MacTechTrainer :

If it does you should see this:

MacTechTrainer :

Full Size Image

MacTechTrainer :

If your iPod Touch is connected and iTunes does see your iPod Touch

MacTechTrainer :

it should show a small icon of your iPod Touch's name under Devices, just as you see in the screen shot I put in this session for you to see.

MacTechTrainer :

let me know if you do see your iPod Touch showing up like the example screen shot above

Customer:

i didnt see that but it did say ipod detected

MacTechTrainer :

that is good

MacTechTrainer :

now are you looking at the screen shot I provided you above?

MacTechTrainer :

if you need to enlarge it just click the Full Size Image link

MacTechTrainer :

to view its full size image resolution

Customer:

i look at the picture but i didnt see it on my computer

Customer:

ok it is downloading all my pictures onto the computer

MacTechTrainer :

that is great

MacTechTrainer :

it means your iPod Touch's hard drive is not damaged

MacTechTrainer :

what you may actually have here, IF we cannot get the iPod Touch back up to a working color screen

MacTechTrainer :

is a damaged Digitizer and back light

MacTechTrainer :

the digitizer is what allows your iPhone to display all the images you see

MacTechTrainer :

and the back light is just that--

MacTechTrainer :

it keeps your screen lit from a background light, so the digitizer can display the images on your iPod Touch as normal

Customer:

so in you opion how much am i looking at to get it fixed?

MacTechTrainer :

I thought you would never ask!

MacTechTrainer :

lol

MacTechTrainer :

one moment- let me provide some of the resources I have for helping you get your iPod Touch back and not break the bank

MacTechTrainer :

can you spare me about 3-4 mins while I get the information? I have to type out the links and so forth

Customer:

sure

MacTechTrainer :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX back with you

Customer:

k

MacTechTrainer :

One of my best references, and please don't hesitate to visit these links now as I provide them to you, in the event you have any questions--

MacTechTrainer :

is DigiExpress

MacTechTrainer :

this online service provider not only provides good quick service, diagnostics and repair and pricing

MacTechTrainer :

it all depends as you can see from their website, what model of iPod Touch you have

MacTechTrainer :

for example, I have an iPod Touch (4th Generation) 8GB

MacTechTrainer :

if you are not sure which model you have,

MacTechTrainer :

check in iTunes with the iPod Touch connected to get an idea from within iTunes, the model type you have for your iPod Touch

MacTechTrainer :

For example as well, when I go into DigiExpress' website and select my model

MacTechTrainer :

It only costs $25.00 USD for them to perform a physical diagnostics on your iPod to determine exactly what is wrong

MacTechTrainer :

and what's more

MacTechTrainer :

as you can see how low priced the replacement parts are

MacTechTrainer :

and labor is a nominal cost as well

MacTechTrainer :

but they don't just charge you. Included within that 25.00 Diagnostics fee is what the labor will cost to replace and repair your iPod Touch's damaged part

MacTechTrainer :

they are straightforward and clear in their method of helping customers get their damaged Apple devices back

MacTechTrainer :

to normal functionality

MacTechTrainer :

Next, there is Rapid Repair

MacTechTrainer :

another online service provider for broken Apple devices that has been around for a long time- I have known about these guys even before the new iPod Touch model was ever released

MacTechTrainer :

they are very good at what they do

MacTechTrainer :

and also won't break the bank to help users get their Apple devices serviced and repaired

Customer:

What do you think about best buy? do you think they can fix it?

MacTechTrainer :

in regards XXXXX XXXXX brick and mortar service repair centers

MacTechTrainer :

I was just about to say

MacTechTrainer :

Best Buy usually is good if you have a Best Buy warranty that you purchased prior to the damage of the iPod Touch IF you purchased the iPod Touch from them originally

MacTechTrainer :

They have their Black Tie Protection service plan

MacTechTrainer :

but if you did purchase the iPod Touch from Best Buy but not one of their plans, it can cost you $$$ for out of warranty repairs

MacTechTrainer :

that is why I suggested these service providers online to check into

MacTechTrainer :

and to go to Apple would also not be very cost effective, because then you are looking at, if they do even provide replacement iPod Touch models, paying close to what you paid for your first iPod Touch

MacTechTrainer :

so that is not a recommendation, unless you want to schedule to visit a local Apple Retail Store Genius bar and have them perform I believe, a free diagnostics on your iPod Touch, so you can at least know what the damage is

MacTechTrainer :

which actually would be better in regards XXXXX XXXXX one of the online service providers I mentioned above

MacTechTrainer :

because then all you would need is a price quote from them as to how much they would charge to repair the damage that Apple tells you in their diagnostics report for your iPod Touch

MacTechTrainer :

that would save $25.00 I believe

MacTechTrainer :

this is just a approximation of what may occur IF you so choose to go this path, but one worth taking I think

MacTechTrainer :

if you do have an Apple Retail store near you

MacTechTrainer :

or are not sure, here is the Apple Store locator link:

MacTechTrainer :

www.apple.com/retail

MacTechTrainer :

all you need to do is put your Zip Code in

MacTechTrainer :

locate the store nearest to you

MacTechTrainer :

and then go in and make a reservation with the Genius Bar (required) for the day and time you want to take your iPod Touch in for again, what I am sure is a free diagnostics for your iPod Touch, which is advantageous for you to do so, as I had mentioned earlier

MacTechTrainer :

any further questions?

MacTechTrainer :

Just let me know :)

Customer:

Thank you so much.! iI do belive that it is the digitizer and back light.

MacTechTrainer :

Ohhhh Yeah I believe it is

MacTechTrainer :

That is how I broke my 1st Generation iPhone 8GB model

MacTechTrainer :

but don't try to get a DIY package and tool kit and try this on your own

MacTechTrainer :

trust me it is a real BEAR to try and replace any part on an iPod Touch or iPhone

MacTechTrainer :

wow

MacTechTrainer :

a real bear

Customer:

O NO!!! that is not whats going to happen. lol

MacTechTrainer :

Haa haa!

MacTechTrainer :

I believe you!!

MacTechTrainer :

the information I have provided you is from alot of research and verification of those services

MacTechTrainer :

so I promise you I would not steer you wrong- and if you have any problems with any one of those service providers you contact, just let me know what transpired and I will look into the matter further for you

MacTechTrainer :

but like I said, out of the many Apple device service repair services, I as a professional Mac tech, like these two the best

MacTechTrainer :

online that is

MacTechTrainer :

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to rate my service. We always like to know how our customers feel about our services, in an effort to continue improving our already high standards of good answers and customer service.

MacTechTrainer :

Finally, I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

Keep in mind also, when you Accept an answer, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue you received support from me, re-occurs once again.

MacTechTrainer :

Otherwise, if all is well , then there is no need to return. Should you desire to err on the side of caution, however, you are always welcome to bookmark this session so you can come back to this session and alert me.

MacTechTrainer :

(just a formality)

MacTechTrainer :

Thank you for being so patient and letting me work with you as much as I could

MacTechTrainer :

I know you said you were "impatient"

MacTechTrainer :

but you proved to me, that is not always the case :)

MacTechTrainer :

thank YOU for being so patient with me

MacTechTrainer :

Any final questions before I end our session here?

MacTechTrainer :

or are you ready to do this?

MacTechTrainer :

and get your iPod Touch fixed

MacTechTrainer
featured content

iPod touch won’t turn on: Troubleshooting

There are a few simple troubleshooting tricks that you can try when your iPod touch won’t turn on.

Restarting your iPod touch

The first things you should check when your iPod is not starting are:

Plug your phone in to charge – If the charge in the iPod’s battery has been allowed to drop too low, the device will not be able to be started until it has been charged. Try letting it charge for a while, as long as an hour, and see if it will start normally.

Note: If your iPod is not charging properly, check the USB cord, adapter and the outlet that you were using. If they're operating correctly, you may have a damaged recharging port and should contact Apple support.

Try a hard restart – This will interrupt the iPod and force it to start as if it had just been turned on. This technique can also be used if your iPod touch is frozen. To perform a hard reset on your iPod, simultaneously hold the Home and Sleep buttons until you see the apple screen appear.

Update your iOS settings – When your iPod freezes during the startup process, your iOS settings may have been corrupted. To resolve this, you'll need to update the settings using your iTunes account. You'll need another computer to do this.

1. Connect your iPod to the computer with the USB cord.
  2. Activate your iTunes account, and see if it recognizes your iPod. If it does, your iOS is fine.
  3. If iTunes does not recognize your iPod, try a hard restart on the device.
  4. Don't let go of the Home and Sleep buttons until the iPod goes into recovery mode.
  5. When you are prompted, choose to Update your settings, which will protect any data that you have stored on the iPod.

If these don't work, there are some other factors that you might want to consider.

Diagnosing your iPod touch

Some other reasons that you might have trouble starting your iPod touch include:

Is the iPod overheating? Your iPod is designed to shut itself down if the temperature climbs to a point where it might damage the lithium-ion battery. If your iPod is warm to the touch, place it somewhere cool and dry and let the temperature drop to a normal level.

Was the screen replaced? If your iPod screen was replaced recently, there's a chance that the flex cable connector was damaged during the process. If this is the case, you'll need to replace the screen again.

Reaching Apple Support

If you still find that your iPod touch won’t turn on, you may want to try Apple Support. You also have the option to take your Apple devices to be serviced in-person at an Apple store or an authorized service provider.

MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer