David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I just reinstalled Final Cut 7, but it did not fix my problem

I just reinstalled Final Cut 7, but it did not fix my problem of having the log and capture function derailed by the "unable to initialize video deck" message. Checked the firewires, changed dv players. What next?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

If you have another Mac, do those DV video decks work there?

On your current Mac, click the Apple menu in the top left and click About This Mac. Please tell me all it says about processor and memory. Also what type of Mac it is.

Then go to /Applications/Utilities/ and launch System Profiler (it's called System Information in Lion). Then go to the section on FireWire. There should be info on any connected FireWire devices. Do you see all your expected devices there?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
David.

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me, this is incredibly frustrating. Yes, the DV deck and camera I have at home work elsewhere. I have been going to work to import data off of DV tapes, which I know is archaic, but now I cannot do that as the MAC lab has been dismantled. So, I have only this machine at home, which is giving me a hard time.

What I have is as follows: Maac OS X 10.6.4
Processor: 2x2.4 GHx - Quad-Core-Intel Xeon
Memory: 12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

The FireWire devices are listed, though I don't see anything that would suggest an external device other than the Lacie drives I have connected through other FireWires.
The two devices listed under the tree section are "built-in hub" and d2 quadra (button).

Thanks again, I'm sure you will solve this mystery. -Christi
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
Hi Christi,

It doesn't sound like the DV deck is detected, so it would be good to disconnect all FireWire devices, and reset PRAM.

First safely eject and disconnect all FireWire devices.

Reset PRAM using the instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Before trying FCP, try System Profiler. If it is detected try FCP and it should be OK.

Regards,
David.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I plugged the device into a port on one of the externals and it worked. Thanks very much, Christi
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
Hi Christi,

That's fantastic. I always know these mysteries can be solved with a bit of searching!

Best regards,
David.