Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

PLEASE HELP ME :) All of a sudden, on my Mac Osx 10.6.8, I

PLEASE HELP ME :)...
PLEASE HELP ME :) All of a sudden, on my Mac Osx 10.6.8, I Can't move icons on desktop. If I try to move any icon, I get the "no" (circle with a line through it symbol). I CAN however move any icon to the trash. But I cannot restore ("put back") from the trash. NOTE: I have logged in using another user account and there is no problem with moving icons around when I do that. Therefore, I have isolated it, I think, to a USER SPECIFIC problem and not a system wide problem. PLEASE HELP!

Already Tried:
Repairing permissions from disk utility app. Nothing. Then tried repairing disk from startup disk, trashing file com.apple.finder.plist and caches. rebooted. No luck!
6/3/2012
CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist

CompExpert :

hi,
create another administrator account by go to system preferences --->> account

log into the admin account you just created, removed the desktop folder on your problem user account.

after that log off new admin account and log back into your old account again.

test moving icon again.

desktop folder located on your home folder

just like this picture below

CompExpert :

Full Size Image

CompExpert :

that should solve your problem

CompExpert :

if everything workout, please click accept and have a wonderful weekend

Customer:

I'm sorry, I can't see the picture you have included. When I click on Full Size NOTHING shows up. Plus, I don't understand your instruction to "remove the desktop folder". Remove to where? To trash? I know that I have asked for medium detail, but this is really very short and vague information.

CompExpert :

yes drag it to the trash

Customer:

but if I remove it to trash, then after logging back into the problem account, do I try to "put back" the desktop folder in teh trash?

CompExpert :

when you log back into the problem account it should auto generate another desktop for you

CompExpert :

you dont need to restore the desktop folder from the trash

Customer:

but if I move the desktop folder to the trash does that mean I lose ALL my information on the desktop?

CompExpert :

basically all desktop icon are alias of your program, you can move those back if you want

CompExpert :

seem like your desktop folder is locked, in order to reset it, we need to remove it and let osx generate another one

Customer:

I'm sorry, I don't know what "alias of your program" means... Do you mean to say that if I delete desktop folder, I should still have access to those programs/documents? I have documents from Word saved on my desktop. Will I lose those? I have lots of .pdfs and other docs downloaded from the Internet on my desktop.

CompExpert :

alias is a shortcut

Customer:

so I will still have access to all those items on my desktop?

CompExpert :

when you in another account, you can back up all those file you need into another folder as backup

CompExpert :

later you can move those file back into the new desktop

Customer:

Oh my GOSH. I have no idea what's wrong now. Now I'm in the just created admin account and there's no icon for the Mac HD! Where did it go?

Customer:

And I just did what you said, in my new admin account, I went in to Users and clicked on the Problem Account and tried to find the Desktop folder. But it is no longer a Folder! It is just an image of a blank sheet of paper, and I cannot click on it. What is happening??

CompExpert :

thats fine, just drag that into the trash, just dont empty it

CompExpert :

wait there are no desktop folder?

Customer:

NO, no desktop folder for the problem account. Just an image of a blank sheet of paper. How can I back up the files in the desktop folder if I can't access the desktop folder now?

Customer:

and also, why, in my new admin account, can I no longer see the icon of the Mac HD in the upper left hand corner?

CompExpert :

thats weird

CompExpert :

dont worry

CompExpert :

go ahead log off from new account

CompExpert :

log back into your problem account

Customer:

wait, should I drag the desktop 'paper' (not folder) to the trash before logging back into the problem account?

CompExpert :

no just leave everything alone

CompExpert :

when you log back into the problem account.

open finder, create another folder in your home folder

CompExpert :

make copy of everything you needed on your desktop

CompExpert :

to that new folder you just created

CompExpert :

after that go to your home folder, move the desktop folder to the trash

CompExpert :

after that reboot your computer

CompExpert :

log back in again

CompExpert :

move all data file you backup in new create folder

CompExpert :

back to your desktop

Customer:

do i have to log into the NEW user admin account I created just now to move the desktop folder to the trash, or can i stay in the problem account where I am now?

CompExpert :

just stay in the problem account

CompExpert :

and do all the step i told you up there

Customer:

ok

CompExpert :

:)

Customer:

IT WORKED!!!! Thank you so much. I appreciate your incredible patience and resolve to help me with this. Thank you again!

CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
CompExpert
CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist