Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I just got a new MacBook pro and set up with a password. Trying

Customer Question

I just got a new MacBook pro and set up with a password. Trying to get in today and I can't! Not sure if I remembered it incorrectly or what. Is there a way to retrieve it?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Why am I downloading something that looks like various coupon apps? Am I supposed to download 7-zip download?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I don’t know what you mean? No, don‘t download anything, what computer are you using? I’m guessing a PC with Windows?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I'm using my old PC with Windows since I can't get on my Macbook. I'm on Explorer.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK here it is just print this out:

Method 1 – Reset a Lost Mac OS X Lion Password

You have to boot from a Lion Recovery drive, by booting from the built-in Lion Recovery HD partition.
  • Hold “Option” at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu
  • Wait for “Mac OS X Utilities” menu to appear, indicating that you are booted into recovery mode
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu and select “Terminal”

Type the following:

resetpassword
  • Confirm the user account and then the password change and reboot Mac OS X 10.7 as usual with your new password
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I reset my password, and I rebooted and used the new password, but then it says sojmething about wanting a keychain password. It's not taking my new password, or what I thought was my old password..
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
So you can’t login?