Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I can't update or restore my iPad

Customer Question
I can't update or restore...

I can't update or restore my ipad - I've tried everything that your website suggested and still can't. This is getting very frustrating. It shows unknown error -1 which is not shown anywhere on what to do.

Product: iPad
Software (if necessary): iOS

Already Tried:
I've uninstalled all security, unplugged all usb devices, uninstalled itunes in the order that your website showed and reinstalled, went into system config and disabled everything but itunes and some other things that I can't remember right now. Didn't have any trouble with my ipod when trying to update the ios but have trouble with the ipad2 every time but this time nothing is working.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
5/20/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 5 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Put your iPad to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode and restore it from iTunes. Follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode;

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank.

Let me know if that didn't work.

That didn't work - it restores only so far - there's about 1.5" left on the bar to restore and then I get the unknown error -1.
Can you restore it from different computer ?
No
Create a new user account on your computer, then login to that user account and then restore your iPad from that account
It's trying the software update and has 2 hrs remaining. I will let you know what happens.
Ok
Well it downloaded and extracted the software and then tried to restore and came up with error 21 which i looked up and it said security issue. I went into msconfig and disabled evertything but Itunes and quicktime and then it said I needed to have bonjour running so I enabled that and tried to restore again and it came up with the -1 error again.

Is there anyway to restore from different computer ? That is the only option I could think of now.

No - I only have one computer.
You could try it from your friend's or neighbour's computer...

we are out in the boonies and the closest person we know is an hour away. I looked at the event viewer and have this error - will this help?

Product:Windows Operating System
ID:1001
Source:Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Client
Version:6.1
Symbolic Name:EVENT_FAILED_TO_OBTAIN_LEASE
Message:Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP server) for the network adapter with MAC address %1. The following error occurred:
%2. Your computer will continue to try to obtain an address on its own from the DHCP server.
That doesn't tell much....The problem is not with downloading the firmware, but with updating/restoring

How can I get this ipad restored?

Mac Support Specialist: CompExpert, Mac Specialist replied 5 years ago
CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist

Unfortunately, error -1 on itunes, meaning hardware failure.

hardware failure can only be fix by replacement of parts.
I would recommend bringing to apple store and have them fix the hardware.

I just want to give you a straight answer since I dont want you to waste time and effort trying to fix it or restore when the problem is not fixable by software.

I have received this error everytime I update this Ipad and eventually I would get it installed - the error isn't posted anywhere or I would have brought it in with the first update. One of the errors I received after the download last time was error 21 which is security error but I've uninstalled all the security.
are you still trying to get your ipad restore?

seem like you were sucessfully restoring it.
I can't get it restored this time

make sure you update your itunes to latest version.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

enter DFU mode and try to restore again

1.Attach the ipad to the pc
2.Turn the ipad off
3.Press and hold power. Keep holding power. As soon as you see display on the screen of any sort press and hold home.
4.Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
5.Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
6.At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.

open itunes and click yes for restore if itunes asked

if that still doesn't work, you have to restore your device on another computer.

it's downloading the ios update but the computer didn't beep. I tried this once before and it downloads the update - extracts the software and get6s almost done with the the restart then comes up with the error. Hopefully this time it will work but everytime I have to wait two hours for it to downlad so I'll let you know. How I worked around it before was to only download the ios update and install it myself instead of having it do both but it won't let me do that this time.
remember restoring is different from update ipad os.

go here download os 5.1.1 for you ipad directly

http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/07/ios-5-1-1-download-links/

to update os to 5.1.1

open itunes, plug in your ipad, hold down shift key and click restore.

itunes will asked you to locate .ispw file, just direct it to the ispw you just downloaded

I know that they are different but that's how it all starts every time. I need to update the IOS and it won't install and then it tells me I need to restore. Last update I downloaded and installed and then restored. The link you gave me does not give me a download for the IOS - it gave me a download for some download manager and changed my homepage on IE9. I don't have any security installed because itunes said to remove it because it may be blocking the update.

I downloaded and it tried to update and restore at the same time and again the error came up. I will try on someone elses computer tomorrow and see if that does it.

Also, I could not get the DFU to work - I shut it off and held down the power and hold for 10 seconds then let go of the power but no beep ever happened and the apple plug window came on the screen each time I tried it.

thats weird

usually, press and hold power and home button for 10 seconds, then release only power button but still home button until your computer recognize you ipad again.

if you were in recovery mode you should know because the screen on your ipad will turn off.

here is a youtube video that show you how to do it --->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FSHAp6fvk

anyhow, have a goodnight

Nothing is working - I give up and will have to take it somewhere. Thanks anyway.
im sorry to hear that.

just bring to apple store and they will take care it for you.

no appointment needed, just bring it in as a walk-in.

http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/ <----- go here to locate a store near you
CompExpert
CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist