Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

CAn you help me transfer my MacBook Pros QuarkXpress 8 to

Customer Question
CAn you help me transfer...
CAn you help me transfer my MacBook Pro's QuarkXpress 8 to my MiniMac that has Quark 7? The Quark directions are absolutely beyond understanding.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
5/1/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 5 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Do you have the Quark 8 installation discs ?
No. Quark told me I could do this online.
How did you installed Quark on your MBP ? Did you downloaded Quark 8 from internet ?
Yes, I did in June 2010.
Do you still have the serial number of your Quark 8 ? Because when you transfer Quark to other Mac, you may need to reactivate it with the serial number
I am not sure where the Ser. No. is. Do you know how I can find it?
Don't you have the purchase confirmation letter from Quark ? It should have the serial number, please check your email for it.
I will check but am not sure I still have it. That was nearly two years ago. Let me look right now.
If you haven't changed or deleted your emails, then it should be there.
Ashik, I have it. I wrote it down. It is: US412417358
Great ! Now, do you have a external hard drive ? So we can start moving the Quark to your Mini.
No I do not have an external hard drive.
Sorry for the delay...Do you have a USB Flash Drive ?
Ashik, Are you there?
Yes, I have a USB flash drive
Okay...I will walk you through the steps. In your MBP, goto Applications folder and copy the Quark or QuarkXpress folder to your flash drive. Then connect the flash drive to your Mini and copy the Quark or QuarkXpress folder to your Applications folder. Let me know once you did that...

Only click Accept after we solved the problem

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
I want to know how to accomplish this transfer. I do not know yet.
Did you got my last answer ? If not, please let me know
Yes, I am reading it .
Ok, let me try that now.
Take your time :)
Thanks I have never done this before.
Ashik, I can NOT find the Quark folder/file in the Applications file. In fact, I can't find it on my hard drive anywhere.
hmm...You can open QuarkXpress on your MBP. Right ? Have you tried searching Quark with Spotlight searchbox ?
Yes, I can open. I use it every day. On my desktop I have QuarkXPress 8 downloads. Does that help?
What files can you see in the "QuarkXPress 8 downloads" folder ? Did you searched Quark with Spotlight ?
What I'm seeing in the Quark downloads site is basically a promotion for Quark 8, you know to buy it, how much it costs, how much an upgrade costs, different categories for what Quark 8 can do. That's about it. I will check the Spotlight now
Spotlight will find the location of Quark folder
Ok, entered Quark 8 in spotlight and somehow it found it in Applications where I could not. Anyway, I clicked on it and a box appeared titled "QuarkXpress Version 8" and in the box was a list of the files I've created using it and categories for Create and Resources. Is this what you're looking for?
No. We need to the copy the Quark folder where it contains the Quark application. It should be saved under Applications folder as default. Can you search thoroughly in Applications folder for the Quark ?
Let me try again. Can you think of any other place it might be? Let me look in Applications again.
Nope...Every application you install goes to the Applications folder.
I FOUND IT !!! OK, now what do you want me to do?
Copy that whole folder to the flash drive

Please stay on the line while I try this.
No Problem :)
Ashik, I started the copying process and got an answer there wasn't enough space on the flash. The flash is 1 gig. but there are other files on it it. How much space do I need? Will I need to purchase a larger flash?
1Gb will not be enough because the Quark folder must be big that your flash drive can't handle. I'd recommend you to buy a external hard drive, so you can also backup your files to it.

Ok, I will get external drive, I know I should have one anyway. So after I get it and copy the Quark onto it, then I attach to the Mini Mac and copy it to the Applications folder of the Mini's hard drive, correct?
Yes. Then you have to copy the QuarkXPress folder from Macintosh HD>Users > your username>Library>Preferences folder to the exact location of your Mini

Then on your Mac Mini, open System folder inside the QuarkXPress folder (in Applications). Run the QuarkXPress Components application and follow onscreen instructions to reinstall the Quark components. Then open Quark application. Let me know if that didn't worked..

This sounds very complicated. Let's say I try this and get stumped. CAn I contact Ask again and not be charged for this as I am still working on the same question? This is very foreign to me; I am not a tech person.
Yes. Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me anytime you want without paying again.

Ok, I've copied the bookmark. I'll see what I can do about an external disc. I don't want to spend a fortune. Thanks for your help. I'll get back to you if I get stuck.
No Problem..

Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi John, Please reply back here...
Ashik, I am here
Did you transffered the Quark folder to your Mini ?
I loaded the Quark folder onto my USB flash drive but I have not done anything else. I am confused about the directions you gave me.
Connect the Flash Drive to your Mac Mini. Then copy that Quark folder from the flash drive to the Applications folder of your Mini. Let me know...
Ok, I will but what about the other instructions you provided? Here they are:

I will walk you through the steps. First copy the Quark folder and let me know
Ok I have copied the Quark folder to the Applications folder of the Mini Mac, it is loading at this second copying items.
Ashik, the Quark folder has successfully loaded into the Mini Mac Application folder
Okay...Great. Now, connect the flash drive to your MBP. In your MBP, goto Macintosh HD>Users > your username>Library>Preferences folderand copy the QuarkXPress folder to your flash drive. Let me know...

Macintosh HD is your hard disk, Users, your username, Library and Preferences are the names of folders inside your Macintosh HD

No need to Accept the answer again..

Ashik, ok, this is what I have done so far.

1. copied the Quark folder from Applications in my MBP onto the USB flash drive.
2. put the USB flash drive into the Mini Mac
3. copied the Quark Folder into the Mini Mac's hard drive -- Applications folder. It has not copied 1.25 GB of 1.61GB about 3 minutes left.

Am I doing it right so far
Yes..Let it copy completely...and let me know once you did that.

Ok, good it has copied completely.
Now, connect the flash drive to your MBP. In your MBP, goto Macintosh HD>Users > your username>Library>Preferences folder and copy the QuarkXPress folder to your flash drive. Let me know...

Ok, I believe I have done that. What now?
Then on your Mac Mini, open System folder inside the QuarkXPress folder (in Applications). Run the QuarkXPress Components application and follow onscreen instructions to reinstall the Quark components. Then open Quark application

Ok, so you want me to return to the MacMini , go to Applications and open it up so I will find the system folder. And then load what I just got onto the USb and load it onto the system folder.

Ashik, PLEASE remember I don't know the terminology. It's like a foreign language.
Ok, so you want me to return to the MacMini , go to Applications and open it (Quark folder) up so I will find the system folder - Yes correct

Then in System folder, you will find the QuarkXPress Components applicatio. Just open it up..

I clicked on the Quark folder but when it opened there was nothing there. So I then copied the system folder to the Required Components folder of the HD. Is that correct?
Empty ? It is not supposed to be empty...No. Can't you find anything in the QuarkXpress folder in Applications folder of your Mac Mini ?
I thought you were talking about the Quark folder I got from . . . I can't explain now. I am too confused. Are we dealing with TWO Quark folders? One from the Applications and another from the Preferences folder?

The QuarkXpress folder in the Applicatons of the Mini Mac does have items in it. It does have a folder called "Required Components." Is that what you want?

Ashik are we on the same page? I am totally confused.
I know its kinda confusing. There are two Qurak folder. One in Applications folder and oter in Preferences folder.

I'm talking about the Quark in the Applications folder.
The QuarkXpress folder in the Applicatons of the Mini Mac does have items in it. It does have a folder called "Required Components." Is that what you want? Yes. That is the correct one. Open it up and install it

But where do you want me to install it?
Does it shows any options or locations ?
I am looking at the Required Components folder into which I have placed Quark. There are four folder -- dictionaries, fonts, profiles, and Quark. Also inside that Required Components folder are various icons representing functions like color manager, cool blends, EPS filder JPEG filter, spell checker , stuff like that.

I see nothing about options or locations? Am I in the correct place?
Yeah..Isn't there any application named QuarkXpress Components there ?
NO, Ashik, I am so confused with all this talk about two Quark folders and where they should be I can hardly answer your questions. This is ALL NEW to me. I have never done this before. I don't understand the terminology and now I have sent two Quarks from my MBP to my Mini and I don't even know if they are in the correct location.

I do not see any application called QuarkXpress components. There is a required components folder INSIDE the Quark Folder in Mini Mac applications that I put there. But no instructions.
You did everything correctly. No worries...Now, open Quark application and does it opens ?
The QuarkXpress 8 opens. Inside are folders titled color, documents, help, Qlog, scripts, Third party technologies, Xtensions, Xtensions disabled and Required Components. There are also what looks like indiviauls pages with weird sounding titles.

That is where I am right now. What next?
Open the QuarkXpress application from Quark folder in Applications folder. Does the application opens ?
As I said, I opened the QuarkXpress 8 folder in Applications and it does open and contains the folders and other pages that I named in our last message.
In your MBP, open Applications folder and open Quark folder. What can you see there ?
The very same folders and pages that are now on the Mini Mac that I took from the MBP.
In your MBP, how do you open Quark ?
I go to the HD icon, click on it, go to Applications, it is in Applications.

Ashik, I think I may have skipped a step awhile ago. I did some exploring while waiting. This is what I did: macintosh HD ,users, john lusk, I think I screwed up and didn't do that. Perhaps that explains our probem now.

Do you understand why I'm telling you? I think I skipped it before or didn't do it correctly.

Ok..Can you start from scratch again ? Delete the Quark folder from Mac Mini, both from Applications and Preferences folder and start over. Let me know how it goes...
Copy Quark folder from Applications folder of your MBP to the Applications folder of your Mac Mini

Copy Quark folder from Preferences folder of your MBP to the Preferences folder of your Mac Mini

Ashik, deleted Quark from Applications. Used spotlight to (I think) remove it from preferences. I THINK !!
Now, this time copy it correctly from your MBP to your Mini
Do you mean the Quark folder from Applications in the MBP to Applications in the Mini?
Yes..Yes

OK, I have done that. NOw loading.
Now, open Quark application on your Mac Mini. Does it loads ?
NOt done yet. The Quark folder is now loading into Applications. About two minutes to go.
Okay..let it complete.
It is now completed.
Can you open Quark application now ?
Do you mean the one I just installed on the Mini?
The one you copied, Quark 8
Yes, I have opened it.
Is it opening ? Are you getting any errors ?
No errors. It has opened. What I see are folders: color, documents, help, qlog, REquired components, scripts, third party technologies, Xtensions, Xtensions disabled AND the QuarkXpress Logo and some pages.
No..No, not that folder. Can't you find a Quark application file in there ? There is supposed to be a Quark application.....How do you open Quark 8 application on your MBP ? Can't you open like that on your Mini ?
In my MBP HD-Applications-QuarkXpress when I open it this is what I see: color. documents, help, Qlog, Required Componens, scripts, Third Party Technologies, Xtensions, Xtensions disabled and some pages with weird names. That is what I see on my MBP when I open QuarkXpress 8.
We're almost there. Now we only need to run the Quark application.

So, on your Macbook Pro what do you normally do to open the Quark application and use it ?
On the bottom of my screen there are various icons representing things the MBP can do. There is a Quark icon there. I just click on that and when it opens on the screen it gives me options as to what kind of document I want to create.
We need to find the location where that Quark icon in the dock leads to. In your MBP, search Quark in Spotlight and does it returns anything ?
I am looking now . . .
Ok
I used the spotlight and all it showed me was what we already know -- that the Quark 8 program is in Applications and it showed a folder icon which when I clicked on it, led me to the same page I've already told you about. I think it just leads back to the Quark folder in applications. When I installed it two years ago I think it gave me an option to dock it.
The icon in the dock is just a shortcut. The original app is somewhere on your HD. Can you search all subfolders in the Quark folder in Applications folder for the Quark application ?
Ok, let me do that now.
If nothing worked, download Quark 8 on your Mini from here : http://8.quark.com/evaluation.htm

Then use your serial number to activate to trial version

Ok Ashik, I'll give it a try. Sorry this didn't work . Perhaps Quark planned it this way so people couldn't transfer systems without them knowing it.
Actually this is not the correct way to transfer, but this is our only choice since you don't have the installation discs. Let me know how it goes..And I'm trying my best to help you :)
Ok, thanks, I will click on that link. Remember, no discs because I installed online.
By discs, I meant the original installation/setup files. Good Luck with that !
Ashik, Mac Technician