James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I own a electronics restoration company and we cleaned 25 Emac

I own a electronics restoration company and we cleaned 25 Emac A1002 machines. When their IT guy hooked them back up and turned them on he said around 16 machines are shutting down on there own and they have not been able to determin the cause. what could make so many machines all do the same thing. The only thing we did was remove the cover, blow out with compressed air and reinstall the covers
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

The only thing that can be causing this is power supply failure. There could be existing damage, like frayed wires, that the dusting or moving damaged further, and that will certainly make the machine shut down and stop working.

Thanks,

J.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I know that mac tends to have alot of heat sensors is there any way one of these could cause a shut down. I know pc laptops are known for shutting down if heatsink and fan get clogged with dust and run hot

Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
No way - not immediately upon power up. It would take several minutes for the system to warm up.
Whatever is causing it, is a power issue - has to be the PSU.

J.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Some machines shut off after a couple of minutes and some stay on for 10 minutes, but when they shut down they all restart on there own

Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
I would say that those that shut off after 10 minutes might have a temp sensor problem - but the ones that shut down after 2 minutes, it has to be a power supply problem.

Thanks,

J.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will start with power supplies Thank You