Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Good Morning......I recently got a mac laptop from a friend

Customer Question

Good Morning......I recently got a mac laptop from a friend who was frustrated with Macs. Anyways it never came with any disks so me being me google on how to reset your mac to factory settings. Now i cant get into safe mode, all I get is the white screen with the apple logo and gear spinning have been trying for days to get it to load but nothing is working. I have tried all kinds of commands in single user mode...still nothing Help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Hold the power button for about ten seconds and then try starting it without holding the Shift key. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i get the white screen again with the apple and spinning gear
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Then I’m afraid you will need the system disk. Is it an Intel Mac?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i get the white screen again with the apple and spinning gear I am not sure it if it is....dont know much about macs....i wasnt given the system disk
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You will have to buy one. I suggest you take it in to Apple and they can tell you if you can use Snow Leopard, the disk is only $29.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So that is all i can do is buy snow leopard i dont want to pay the extra dollars to take it in to get it looked at...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I just meant they can tell you what system you can use they won’t charge you for that only for the disk. They will know what model it is.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I live i will be charged close to 75 dollars canadian for that answer is there any way i can find out for myself
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
They don't have a Genius Bar in Canada at the Apple stores? Are you sure?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can i find out myself what o/s system i am using it will cost me close to 75 dollars to find that out
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Is there any writing on the bottom?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
It is free to use the Genius bar go here:

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/geniusbar/

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nope
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Then you will have to make an appt at ther genius bar I gave you the link.