Mac-PC-Network-Guru
Mac-PC-Network-Guru, Mac-PC-Network-Guru
Experience:  Supporting Mac computers since 1999 in San Francisco
60681290

I had MacBook 2010 unibody that died. Got an identical

Customer Question

I had MacBook 2010 unibody that died. Got an identical replacement. I would like to recover from my old Macbook’ s time machine external drive. Tried Migration assistant, lots of things not the same (desktop, music files etc,) Is a perfect recovery to before the crash possible. Help please!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac-PC-Network-Guru replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Hi there I can help you with your macbook issue.
I have a couple questions.
1.When was the last time you did a time machine backup prior to having trouble?
2. Do you still have the old Macbook 2010 that died?
Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. april 20
2 yes but black screen on power up, has been trouble shot to a logic board IC with corrosion on all six leads, essentially useless in this part of the restore I think.
1. Was there anyone else using the same hard drive for time machine backup?
2. Did you see your user account listed when trying to restore using time machine?
3. Is there a apple store close by where you live? The reason I ask is that they could copy the data from the old dead MacBooks hard drive to your new MacBook and it would be just like you had it before the crash. They would do this for free in most cases at the genius bar

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. I think I have been unclear, the time machine drive is a passport external drive .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok Sounds like you have a Western Digital Passport external USB drive.
For a perfect recovery and no data loss up to the minute your old computer died I would recommend having the old hard drive removed from your old computer and have the data copied. Is there a apple store close by where you live? The reason I ask is that they could copy the data from the old dead MacBooks hard drive to your new MacBook and it would be just like you had it before the crash. They would do this for free in most cases at the genius bar.
If this is not a option then we will have to explorer other options.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am confused. Isn't the reason I had the passport and used time machine was just such an occasion as this?
I was concerned that the backup you have is from April 20th (now a couple weeks old) and you said you wanted a recovery just before the crash.
Was April 20th the time of the crash?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it was.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
JACUSTOMER-42626g0o- are you still working with me ?
Thanks for the clarification.
It seems like you have completed the correct steps by trying to use the migration assistant to restore your files. How ever its strange that you are seeing different desktop/file/music.
The only other step I would recommend is that you try and copy the data directly from the bad macbook hard drive if you want the exact copy of your data. It seems that the backup you have may be corrupt or not restoring properly.