Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

hello -- i had the following questions imbedded in an earlier

Customer Question

hello -- i had the following questions imbedded in an earlier question -- thought it might be better to separate them out. . .
what is the difference [on ipod and ipad] between camera roll and photo library. why do photos sometimes appear in one album and other times in the other album? the photo library appearars to have photos taken with the device itself along with downloaded photos. is there a way to delete photos from the photo library if i fail to check off box to delete photos while importing from ipod to pc. there is no delete option within photo library itself.

how does icloud work -- is there a way to check whether it is properly backing up both the ipad and ipod? in itunes -- i have set my ipad to back up to icloud. is there a way to automatically back up in both places? what is the difference if the device is set to back up to pc vs. icloud? what would happen if one device was set to back up to icloud and the other to pc?

finally -- how do i get my pc outlook calendar to sync to the ipad and ipod ?

there are several questions here -- do i need to separate them or could you get credit for each question within this email? thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Unfortunately, there is no direct way to delete the photos directly from the photo library. The only way is to delete the photos from the computer or uncheck the photo sync while your ipod/ipad is connected to the computer.

As you have found out, photo library has the photos that has been transferred from the computer, while "camera roll" has the photos taken using the device itself.

If you back up only to the PC, the data is saved only in the pc and in the device. So if something happens to your pc, the data may be irrecoverable. But icloud is an online storage, so you have your datas safe everytime.

To find what is in your icloud backup, you just need to sign in to the icloud. Just go to the following website,

www.icloud.com

Sign in with your icloud email and password. You can find what you have uploaded to icloud.

For transferring outlook contacts to your ipad/ipod, just open itunes and connect the device (ipad/ipod). The device name would now be listed to the left side of the itunes. Click on the device name and now to the middle of the screen, you will have tabs such as Summary, Info, Apps, Photos etc.

Click on Info tab. Select the option "sync contacts" and in the drop down box next to it, select "outlook". Now click on apply..

Hope this answers your questions. let me know if you have any difficulty.

Thank You
Vinod

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you your response.

re photo library -- i'm confused -- because there are both downloaded photos as well as photos taken with the ipod in that album.

re sync -- my issue is with the calendar [vs. contacts]. if i check the sync calendar box under info, a window appears warning that checking the box might cause duplicates because the device is already being synced to icloud. yet i cannot find the outlook calendar on the ipod or ipad.

with respect to contacts, it is syncing but doesn't appear always to have the most up to date list.

i will try your icloud suggestion

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
in addition to questions above, i just checked icloud -- i don't see where apps, music, photos etc are stored. i only see a few icons -- mail, contacts etc
You will not see music, apps etc in icloud. You can view them in your itunes store under "purchased". Just check the following doc on how to get there.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Re photo library - There is a camera roll where you have only the pictures taken using the device. There will be albums where you can find the pictures transferred from the computer. And there is one album, not sure the name is "photo library", where you have both the photos. That is how it is organized in the ipod/ipad.

Re contacts - the contacts in the outlook should sync to the ipod/ipad. First of all, let's check whether all the contacts are there in Outlook.

Re calendar - yes, since you already have your calendar in icloud, if you check the calendar box, it can create duplicates. For example, some of your contacts are in icloud, some in your computer. Some in the computer would also be in icloud. That is the reason it can create duplicates in icloud.

I am not sure whether I am too much theoretical to understand. Let me know if you have any difficulty.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you -- i am trying to figure out how to get my outlook calendar in my pc onto the ipod and ipad -- i can't seem to make it happen. . .

i still am confused by photo library. i understand that it will have photos downloaded from the computer. but i don't understand why it also contains photos taken on the deviice. i did not create the photo library album -- it was automatic. . .

The photo library is created automatically. It has pictures from both albums and the camera roll.

Re calendar sync - just open itunes and connect the device (ipad/ipod). The device name would now be listed to the left side of the itunes. Click on the device name and now to the middle of the screen, you will have tabs such as Summary, Info, Apps, Photos etc.

Click on Info tab. Select the option "sync calendars" and in the drop down box next to it, select "outlook". Now click on apply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi -- i apologize if it seems like i'm asking the same question repeatedly --

re photo library -- why is it that only some photos from camera roll automatically appear. i ask because i photo library is unnecessary and taking up memory space. i don't need duplicate photos from camera roll.

re calendar -- i may have misunderstood -- i did not check because i was concerned about dups [from the alert message mentioned earlier]. but i will check and see what happens.

thanks for your patience with my questions. . .

Aren't all photos from the camera roll appearing in the photo library?
sorry, I typed the wrong info earlier. I just checked with my device and The "photo library" should be having all the photos transferred from the computer, but not from the camera roll.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

that's why i'm confused. because the photo library also contains photos from the camera roll -- automatically. i don't want them there because of the dup

Does photo library have all the photos in the camera roll?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it seems to have some but not all -- that's why i'm confused. why is it that you can only delete from camera roll and not photo library?

There is one possibility. You may have transferred those photos to the computer and then synced it along with the other photos. That is one reason why some duplicates are in photo library

Unfortunately, apple does not allow deleting photos directly from photo library. Unfortunately we can't do anything about that. We have to delete the photos from the computer and sync.