Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Last November I bought an iMac, installed Tbird and stopped

Customer Question
receiving Tbird mail on my...
Last November I bought an iMac, installed Tbird and stopped receiving Tbird mail on my (MS Windows) PC. But the old mail messages, some of them precious to me, remain on the PC. Surely, there must be a way to get them from the PC to the Mac. Your help in doing so would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
5/1/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Do the following steps to transfer your files from pc to your mac.

uninstall Thunder-Bird from the iMac and reinstall. Then on your PC use the export feature from email. You should then be able to use the import feature in Thunderbird-Bird on your iMac.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
I am kind of dubious about this answer, because in my experience the Import/Export feature in mail utilities is used for address book data.
Actually in can be used for contacts and mailboxes/accounts.

Is deleting Thunderbird from the Applications display sufficient to uninstall it? It's getting close to bedtime ans I haven't yet had supper. I'll try to follow your instructions, and continue this with you tomorrow.

The "How is this Answer?" line requires an additional choice: "I don't understand it"
I have verified that moving the Tbird application to Trash does indeed make it unusable. So I can use the Tbird installer I still have in my Downloads file to reinstall it.

But once I'm back on the PC (across the room), how does using the export feature there get the info into the Mac? The Mac is connected to the Internet by Airport or something similar. The PC is hardwired to a DSL connection.
Your answer is inaccurate. Just as I suspected, Tbird (PC) has no export option for message information, only an import option, which when you click it makes plain that it is expecting to import address book info. This is further confirmed if you go to the address book. When you do so, one of the pull-down menus offers an export option. Export what? Address book info, of course.

I don't believe you have the proper expertise to answer my question, so you're fired. Please see that the Visa charge is reversed, or point me to a more expert expert.
Johnny  Mack
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist