Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hello I have a Mac and for a while now have been unable

Customer Question
Hello I have a Mac and...
Hello

I have a Mac and for a while now have been unable to open Excel files in Mac Office. When I attempt to open an Excel file I get error message "file name.xls cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding." I recently upgraded from Office Mac 2004 to Office Mac 2011 but this did not help.

Can you advise how I can fix this and again access my Excel files in Mac.

thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
5/1/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Lindie-mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Lindie-mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Thanks for your message. I have not heard from anyone yet and am still waiting for a response.
Mac Support Specialist: Lindie-mod,
 replied 5 years ago

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly
Mac Support Specialist: R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech replied 5 years ago
R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Hello, I'll be happy to help you with this.

This sounds like you're having a file access or permissions problems on OS X, more than it sounds like you're having a problem with Office for Macintosh. I'd suggest checking the file permissions (you can do this by clicking once on the file to highlight it, then selecting "Get Info" from the "File" menu at the top of the screen in Finder, to see if you have "Read & Write" permissions to this/these files.

It's also possible that the file permissions on your drive have been corrupted, and a permissions repair should fix this if it is the case.

You can check to see if it's just a permissions problem by trying to open the file in your text editor. You shouldn't see a nice, ordered spreadsheet when you do this (what you should see is random garbage on the screen), but you shouldn't get an error message about not being able to open the file or files.

If you'd like specific directions on doing any of this, please let me know which version of OS X you're using and I'll be happy to provide step-by-step instructions.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Thanks for your advice.

Under 'Get Info' it says that I do have 'read & write' permissions for the file I selected, but I still cannot open the file in Excel. I then went to Text Edit and successfully opened the same file (no error message). FYI I have already tried to run Repair Disk Permissions under Disk Utility, and this did not seem to help, assuming I have done that process correctly. Also FYI I don't have this problem with any other office apps such as Word or PPT.

I hope you can help me to fix this. I have Mac OS X v10.6.8 (snow leopard).
This is a troubleshooting step, posted as an answer, per site policy.

If you copy the file out onto your Desktop and try to open it from there (a copy of the file and not the original), do you get the same error message?

I copied a file from Documents to Desktop. Same problem and error message.
This troubleshooting step is posted as an answer, per site policy, but don't accept it until you're satisfied that it has answered your original question.

Out of curiosity, can anyone else open these files on any other computer at this time? Perhaps if you email them or take a copy of them on some type of removable media, like a USB flash/stick drive?

yes, if I email my spreadsheets to myself and open them up on my Acer laptop I have no problems in accessing the files.

Well, we'll have to go through a list of things to see what's going on here. The next thing that we need to try is to create a new document on your Mac, and then check to see if you can save it, close it, close Excel, then open it again. If you can, try emailing the new file to your Acer laptop, to see if it will open there. I'm checking to see if your Mac is just having problems with Excel files generally, or if there might be something strange in the formatting of the old files that won't allow them to open on the newer version of Office for Macintosh.

Another test will be to check to see if you can do a "Save As" on one or more of the old files you emailed to your Acer laptop, save it with a new file name, email the new file back to your Mac, and try to open in there. This will occasionally get around some formatting problems as well. If that doesn't work, you might try to save the older file on your Acer in different format (perhaps in Office 2000 or Office 97 format), which can be accessed in a drop-down menu from the "Save As" dialog box.

Let me know how it goes, whether success or failure, and we can move on with this from there.

Thanks.

I opened a new worksheet in Excel, added some data, and tried to Save As to Documents and also to Desktop on my Mac. It does not allow me to save the file and gives me a long message;

Micorsoft Excel cannot access the file 'KK:Users:myusername:Desktop:.....'

There are several possible reasons:
- the file name or path name does not exist
- the file you're trying to open is being used by another program. Close the document in the other program and try again
- the name of the workbook you're trying to save is the same as the name of another document that is read-only. Try saving the workbook with a different name.

FYI and on what I think is a related issue, I have tried to uninstall (Remove Office) Mac Office 2008 as I now have Mac Office 2011. This was unsuccessful and I get an error message:

You do not have permission to remove Office. Log in to the same Mac OS user account that you used to install Office, and then try again.

But I have only ever had one 'User Account' on this Mac / there is only one User on my Mac.

Let's check to make sure that your account is an administrative account, then. From the Apple menu select System Preferences, then open the Accounts item. Check to see if it says Admin under your name, and let me know what you find, please.

Confirmed that it says Admin under my user name. FYI there is only one other account, a guest account, that I never use.

thanks

I am still waiting for an answer, can you help please?
I am receiving emails asking me to Accept this Answer. But unfortunately I still do not have a solution to my problem. Can you provide more advice please or otherwise stop asking me to Accept Answer.

thanks
Mac Support Specialist: Lindie-mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Hi, thanks for your message. I am still waiting for an answer and was not aware that the Professional had opted out. Although I have still been receiving emails from him to 'Accept Answer'. It would be great if you could find another Professional to have a look at my problem.

thanks again
Mac Support Specialist: Lindie-mod,
 replied 5 years ago

Mac Support Specialist: i-cubed, Mac Enthusiast replied 5 years ago
i-cubed
i-cubed, Mac Enthusiast
Hello this is Dennis. One thing you may have not tried is creating a brand new Mac User and see if the problem persists. Though unusual, your Mac user profile itself may be corrupt. Make sure you make this new profile an ADMIN.
Thanks Dennis for the suggestion. I set up a new Admin user and logged in as that user, but unfortunately I have the same problem trying to open an Excel file and I get the same error message as before.
OK. I always suggest the least time consuming method first. This link to a rather thorough troubleshooting document written by what appears to be very talented MacOffice users is the next best thing I can offer - http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/troubleshoot/ You have done all the right things on your own. Last bug I could not track down on my Snow Leopard iMac came down to a start-up item I don't recall even setting up. It was strictly trial-and-error though. I do tons of things on the machine.

Thanks Dennis for the trouble shootingdocument, I had a read but unfortunately nothing contained there helps me with my problem.
June 28, 2012 - I never got an answer to my question, but seems someone has closed this question anyway. Still waiting for an answer.
i-cubed
i-cubed
i-cubed, Mac Enthusiast