Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My screen is has just a blank blue screen when i turn it on.

Customer Question
I have left it for...
My screen is has just a blank blue screen when i turn it on. I have left it for an hour but it just stays the same. All icons and files on the desktop dont seem to appear.

Help please

Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
4/14/2012
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
David, Mac Support Specialist
Hi my name is David.

Can you disconnect all peripherals and power down the Mac.

Then power on and hold down the Shift button until you see the spinning gear.

This is called Safe Boot. If you see your Desktop after 15 -20 minutes restart again normally to test normal mode.

Please get back to me if you have any questions or issues.

Regards,
David.
Hi thankyou for your previous help. I used the safe boat method and it takes me to the stellar homescreen and asks me for my password. I never normally enter my password but have done at least 7 times and it just keeps asking me for the same password. I know it is correct as when i enter incorrectly it shakes.

What next?!
Thanks in advance!

If it shakes the password is incorrect, but when you enter the password you know to be correct what happens? Does it shake, or does it go to a blue screen and back to login again?

It goes to blue screen and back to login again. At leadt 20 times now and it takes different amounts of time between each request.

This might take some time to fix, thank you for your patience. It is logging you in, but there is a problem in the account that is logging you out. I have seen this a lot, but not often when it does the same thing in Safe Boot.

Can you shut down and do Safe Boot again. Press Shift and hold it as soon as you power on. Keep holding shift until both the Apple logo and spinning gear appear. Then try log in again. If it is doing the same thing then try logging in but hold the space bar as soon as you press login.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
David.
Thankyou! Unfortunately it didn't work....... I've tried three times now.

Do you know what version of Mac OS X is on this machine? Is it Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion?

Do you have the install discs that came with your Mac?

Thanks,
David.
Hi
Its a mac book pro 10.5.8, i think its lion. And yes i do have the disks!
You will need to archive the problem user account. You can still get all of the data back, you just need to archive it and create a new admin account. Please follow these steps:

1. Boot into single user mode (hold command-S during startup)
2. Type 'mount -uw /' without quotes and press return.
3. Type 'cd /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default' without quotes and press return.
6. Type 'rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone' without quotes and press return.
7. Type 'exit' without quotes and press return.

When you get the setup assistant, set up an account with dummy information. use the name admin admin.

Then get back to me when you can login.

Regards,
David.
Hi david

Thanks. None of the above are being accepted. 'It keeps saying no such file', are u around tomorrow i have to go to bed as it is night time here!

I think i might need to take to someone!!!
Hi managed to figure out the new account procedure and have now got a blue screen!!!

I'm around tomorrow and will help you then. I am about to log off no as well.

Regards,
David.
Thanks!!

I am on for the rest of the day. As soon as you need to continue I am ready.

Kind regards,
David.
Hi there david thanks for connecting again.

I am following your instructions and the computer is working through.....at the moment it is saying there is an error in disk0s2. I suppose i just have to let it keep going?

Thanks in advance for your help

Yes, let the computer do the work until there is a pause, or you cannot continue any further.

When you are ready to get back to me, also let me know if you have a lot of data on the disk that you need to save, and what type it is. Also let me know if you have another Mac, and if you have an external hard disk.

I will wait until you are ready,
David.
Hi david im not sure how long this phase should take but it keeps going saying that disk0s2 has an error......should i just wait?!

It sounds like it is either stuck, or stuck in a loop.

Do you have the discs that came with your Mac?

Thanks in advance.
David.
Yes i have oth discs.

You need to try a reinstall of just the OS first, this way your own files remain where they are.

Insert install disc 1, and shutdown. Power on and hold the letter C until the spinning gear.

Select language, and continue through the steps until Instal, then click Install.

It will take between an hour and two, and upon restart I would like you to try to login.

Please get back to me with the result, and we will move o the next step.

Regards,
David.
Hi David
I went through the whole install, in the end it send that the installation could not be completed due to an error and ask me to restart, which I am now doing! I will try the whole process again. Please let me know if you think I should try something else!
Thanks kindly

Antonietta
Hi Antonietta,

This could indicate the problem is with the format of the disk, and you might need to erase and repartition the disk to fix it.

Do you have any data on this disk that you need to keep, or is it backed up somewhere else/

Thanks in advance,
David.
Hi David did you receive my last message. It is asking to install to the hard disk and says that all data will be cancelled. I do have a external hard disc but I haven't backed up for a couple of months.

I am worried that I will cancel recent work. Should I take it to my closest Mac shop or do you think we can resolve it?!

I didn't receive that message, sorry.

There are some things we can try, but because you are worried about your data it is better to take it to someone who can transfer your data to your external hard drive, and then erase and reinstall your Mac.

Thank you.
David.
Thanks David for your help!
Hi Antonietta,

Thank you! Please click Accept if I have heaped you, as I am only paid for my time if you click Accept.

Sincerely,
David.
Hello unfortunately even though you have been very helpful and available i paid 49 euro and did not resolve the problem. I have to pay antoher 100 euro at my local mac tech to resolve the problem.

Thanks
David, Mac Support Specialist