Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Im trying to change my iCloud account on my iPhone 4S but

Customer Question
I'm trying to change my...
I'm trying to change my iCloud account on my iPhone 4S but every time I do it seems to "reset" itself to the older, original account I was using and it is "greyed out" and I am unable to select it.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
4/12/2012
Mac Support Specialist: James, Sr. Mac Support Expert replied 5 years ago
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
On the iPhone, touch Settings.
Scroll down, and touch Store.
Touch Sign Out.
Touch Sign In.
Sign in with your new Apple ID and password.

Thanks,

J.
I have tried this 4 times already. This does not work
Which part of what I said doesn't work?
Perhaps I should provide more detail. I am trying to sign into iCloud with my @me.com address after having previously used a different account. Every time I go to iCloud in Settings, I scroll to the bottom and press delete account. After I sign in with the new @me.com address, it returns to the original address, in grey.
Ah, ok.
Go to Settings, Mail.
Add the new iCloud account.
Delete the existing one.

Done.
The mail account is already there and functioning. It's the iCloud account name that won't change.
In the list of mail accounts, do you see the OLD icloud account?
If so - remove it.
It is of type "icloud".
The original account name was a "Telus.net" account. (My service provider account.) When I got my iPhone 4S last week I opened a new @me.com address which set up easily in the mail accounts on my phone. The type "iCloud" under mail was already the @me.com address, however iCloud was still under the "Telus.net" account.
Upon removing Telus.net from my email accounts, I am still unable to remove it from the iCloud account.
Sounds like a corrupt setting.

Go to Settings, General, Reset - and reset all settings.
This will remove all settings from the phone, and will allow you to reconfigure it exactly as you want it to be.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Didn't work
You reset the settings, added only the .me account, and it still figured out what the old account is?
Yes.
Let's try this again.
Reset ALL settings.
Add ONLY the .me account as your Apple ID - nothing else.
What happens?
It doesn't even ask for my apple id. I set it up, the introduction, country, diagnostics, etc... and then I go in and there is my original Apple ID.
Is it connected to the computer and iTunes?
Through wireless, yes.
Okay...
In iTunes, click Store, View my account.
Change the email on the account to the new one - or if it is actually a new Apple account, sign out and then back in with the new account.
Now reset the phone again.

It kept getting the settings from iTunes...
My concern is that I will then lose all of my purchased music, movies, etc? I want to maintain that older apple id for store purchases, but use the new @me.com account as a personal account to iCloud. Make sense? Is that a logical concern?
Makes sense, and not a problem.
Simply sign into the account in iTunes, and change the email on the account (view my account under "Store").
This way you keep the same account, and have the email address you want on it.
By changing my apple id, would that not put me back where i started? I began all of this so my wife would be able to use the cloud and purchased items with a "Shared" id. We would each then create a personal apple id for contacts, calendars, etc... By changing the apple id name, it just moves the same problem to a different name, no?
OH - I see what you're saying.
If you both use the same Apple ID, you will have problems (learn from my experience, tried the same with my own wife).
Although you WILL indeed be able to download the same apps without paying twice, your SMS messages will stop working, facetime will not work properly, etc. The phone uses the Apple ID for more than just the downloads.

I would highly recommend to you to get the wife her own ID, even at the cost of a few more bucks. Not worth the hassle using the same ID will cause.
SO, I guess it's have all the functions on your phone working well or share your library of music on iCloud, just not BOTH?
The libary of music you can still share - you can sync the library with her phone as well. What you can't do, is pay for an app one time, and then use it on both phones without paying for it again.

Any music you get, you download to iTunes. Then connect her phone, and sync - the music sync doesn't depend on the apple ID.

J.
But using anything from the iCloud is a no go?
That's right - with different ID's, it's another iCloud space.

Not worth the hassle - I'm quite technical and I tried all kinds of hacks to make it work (actually still trying with my son's iPod touch which uses my ID so he can get the games I try) - very problematic.
Well that sucks. Make it very challenging for a family to own multiple devices.

Thanks for your help.
I agree it sucks - it is also by design. Apple's idea is that those devices are pesonal - and each user needs to have their own space, own ID, and of course...pay for their own stuff.
Now what? How do I pay for your time? Or have I already?
You already have, and I thank you!
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert