Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I cant delete photos from my iPhoto files. When I hit "delete"

I can't delete photos from...
I can't delete photos from my iPhoto files. When I hit "delete" after selecting photos to delete, the yellow select frame simply moves to the next photo and doesn't delete.
4/1/2012
Mike, Mac Medic
Select a photo and go to Photos / Move to the Trash. Not sure how your are trying to do it.
I have done that. Photos do not delete
Ok First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Version is 10.6.8, Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I have followed your instructions above and Repair Permissions is now in process, estimated time 11 minutes
Verify Disk was ok?
Yes, verify disc was OK. Message was "Volume MacIntosh seems to be OK"
Ok Quit iPhoto, hold down the Option and Command keys and start iPhoto. Check all the boxes and run Rebuild.
Cannot quit iPhoto
Right click on the icon in the Dock and Force Quit. Then restart the computer and try that.
Have already tried to force quit. Can't get the white dot to go away.
Hold the power button on the Mac for about 10 seconds. Then turn it back on. At this point I would go to your Pictures folder and hold Option and drag your iPhtoto Library to the desktop to copy it then hold down the Option and Command keys and start iPhoto. Check all the boxes and run Rebuild.
I'm now rebuilding everything. Estimated time to rebuild thumbnails is 41 minutes
You checked all boxes right not just thumbnails?
Yes I check all the "rebuild" boxes
Ok, let me know
Problem solved. Thank you!
Great if all ok, you can trash the copy we made!!
Mike, Mac Medic