Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

I cant get the iMovie icon to stay in the dock. How do I do

I can't get the iMovie icon to stay in the dock. How do I do this, and what is the first step to begin? I have a DVD ready to insert into the computer, but it then just begins to play. I want to download it, and work with it inside iMovie.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

What OS are you running? ie. 10.5.6 or 10.7.2

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.

Is this a dvd that you made or a dvd that you bought?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's a new MacBook Pro, and I'm running OS 10.7. The DVD's are home-made from old VHS tapes of the kids when they were small. I'm trying to work with the DVD's to edit and make watchable movies.
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Click on the face icon on the left-hand side of the dock

Click on Go at the very top and Applications. Drag Imovie to the dock

In order to import DVD's into imovie you will need two addional things. A program called streamclip. They have directions at the following link

http://imovie.maccreate.com/2010/12/20/importing-video-from-mpeg-streamclip-to-imovie-11/

You could also use a nice program called popcorn. It's $50 but works very well also

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/popcorn/standard/overview.html
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took a superficial look at both "streamclip" and "popcorn", but haven't purchased either. At the advise of an Apple store consultant, I've been trying one called " hand brake". I'm not entirely sure I like it, and am thinking of coming back to your recommendations; probably "popcorn". I just need one that is easy to use and reliable. I don't mind paying something for it, especially if there is some backup. Any thoughts about which is the easier to use? Thanks. Robb
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
streamclip is free. popcorn is $50.

I didn't recommend handbrake because it compresses the video and because of this, loses video quality. It does produce a small file if needed for ipod's , ipads or iphones
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Which of the other two do you recommend most strongly? Popcorn or Streamclip?Keeping in mind I'm not much of a techie...
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
I would recommend Popcorn. Let me know if you need anything else