Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am in a right muddle with my mac - cannot connect to Internet

Customer Question

I am in a right muddle with my mac - cannot connect to Internet it says wi-fi has the self assigned IP address 169.254.185.53 and will not be able to connect to the internet can you help me please
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Do you have any problem with other devices? I mean are you using your network now?
WHat version of iOS is on the iPad? Look in Settings/General/About/Version.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I am using the network for my iPad it is thebip address on my iMac that is wrong I think
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
The iMac, which version of OS X is on that? Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Version 10.7.3
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, a new network location should fix this.

Open System Preferences/Network. This PDF will show you how to setup a new location, it works the same for Lion as it does in Snow Leopard.

Repairing Permissions

If you are using the iPad to talk to me then you may need that app to view that PDF.

Adobe Reader for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Try that and let me know if you have any trouble with doing that.