DaniBigApple
DaniBigApple, Mac Genius
Experience:  4+Years Apple Genius Experience Trainer in Apple core applications
66806038

My macbook pro wont connect to the internet. It says I have

My macbook pro won't connect to the internet. It says I have a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet.
Go to your system preferences and choose "Network"
Where it says Location and "Automatic" click that and choose edit locations
Choose the (+) sign to create a new location then choose done. Search for your router name and try to connect again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just did that but it still says the same thing - Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.156.210 and will not be able to connect to the internet.
Have you unplugged your router (internet box and wifi)

If not do so now and wait 10 seconds before plugging back in. And let me know if something happens
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah, I'm connected with my other computer. All other devices are working properly - it's def the settings on my Macbook pro.

In the TCP/IP settings under Configure IPv4, should I have Using DHCP checked or something else? And under Configure IPv6 should I have "automatically" selected? Something is going on with the IP address and I don't know how to have it select one automatically rather than having one that's self-assigned?
Choose renew DHCP Lease
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's what mine looks like. How about under Proxy settings? Then under Proxy settings, what should be selected? Should it be Auto Proxy Discovery? Should anything else be detected? And what about Use Passive FTP mode, should that be checked at the bottom?
Here is a screen shot of my settings
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still not working! Ugh!!!!!!!! Any other suggestions?
Whats the settings look like here?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's failing on the Network connections.Wi-fi is green, wi-fi settings are green, Network settings are yellow, and ISP is green, Internet and Server are red (failed). And for whatever reason, under Wi-Fi it says that I have a self-assigned IP. All my settings look like the ones you sent me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to run to a meeting now. I think I just need to take it into an Apple store. :(
Yea just make sure you tell them the troubleshooting steps we did to make it easier for them. It will be easier for a person to look at it in front of you for sure so that they can try additional troubleshooting steps. If you are satisfied with my answer please chose Accept :D
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think you're lovely, but it didn't solve my problem. So what should I do?
To be honest the best thing to do at this point is to consult them as network issues can prove to be very difficult to diagnose. Now dont be surprised if you are able to connect to their apple store network with no issues. If that happens they will probably refer you to your ISP, or tell you to back up your information and reinstall your operating system. Its free to see a genius and you only get charged if they check the machine in for repair.