Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am trying to install iTunes 10.6.1 on a Dell Inspiron

Customer Question
620MT running Win 7 64bit...
I am trying to install iTunes 10.6.1 on a Dell Inspiron 620MT running Win 7 64bit. The process keeps stopping and telling me it cannot open a particular key to which I have insufficient privileges. I am running as Administrator. I have deleted as many Apple products as I can but Bonjour will not install nor will Apple Mobile Device. What am I doing wrong ?
regards David
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
4/1/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Sergio A., Mac Specialist replied 5 years ago
Sergio A.
Sergio A., Mac Specialist
Sergio A. :

Hi, my name is Sergio. Thanks for allowing me to help you. It is important to uninstall iTunes using Apple's instructions or it will not be completely removed.

Sergio A. :

First, uninstall iTunes and the related components by following these instructions: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1925

Then, completely restart your PC and perform these steps to clean your system.

Ccleaner - this will remove unnecessary files from your PC and free up a significant amount of space, including temporary internet files and other junk files. It will also clean out the system registry, which is where all of your program pointers reside. Run the file and registry cleaner 2 or 3 times each, or until they do not come up with findings..

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner (click on the green download button on the top right)

1. Click the above link and then select Download

2. Once the file is done downloading, launch the installer and follow the prompts

1. I would recommend unchecking any options that ask if you want to install any add-on software, like Yahoo toolbar.

2. Follow the prompts to complete the installation

3. Once installed, launch the program from your Desktop or Start Menu

4. Click on the Analyze button on the bottom of the screen (optional - uncheck any items that you do not wish to scan)

5. Check to be sure nothing will be deleted that you may want to retain. It is rare to want to keep any of the files.

6. Click Run Cleaner, this will delete all of the unnecessary files.

7. Click on the Registry tab

8. Click Scan for Issues

9. Once complete, click Fix Selected Issues

1. Click Yes to save a backup of the registry file

2. Click Fix All Selected Issues

3. Repeat the scan until no issues are discovered

1. Run the utility on a regular basis to keep your system running smoothly. You may want to uncheck some Internet browser options if you find that it is removing things that you may want to use or refer to, like your internet History.

1. Finally, go to this link to install the latest version of iTunes. http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Sergio A. :

Sorry about the numbering. Try these instructions instead:

3. I would recommend unchecking any options that ask if you want to install any add-on software, like Yahoo toolbar.

4. Follow the prompts to complete the installation

5. Once installed, launch the program from your Desktop or Start Menu

6. Click on the Analyze button on the bottom of the screen (optional - uncheck any items that you do not wish to scan)

7. Check to be sure nothing will be deleted that you may want to retain. It is rare to want to keep any of the files.

8. Click Run Cleaner, this will delete all of the unnecessary files.

9. Click on the Registry tab

10. Click Scan for Issues

11. Once complete, click Fix Selected Issues

12. Click Yes to save a backup of the registry file

13. Click Fix All Selected Issues

14. Repeat the scan until no issues are discovered

15. Run the utility on a regular basis to keep your system running smoothly. You may want to uncheck some Internet browser options if you find that it is removing things that you may want to use or refer to, like your internet History.

16. Finally, go to this link to install the latest version of iTunes. http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

JACUSTOMER-1qk1h8cy- :

Carried out all of the above and re-downloaded iTunes. Whilst installing it stopped again with the following message : "Could not open key : UNKNOWN\Components\DA42BC89BF25BDOAF18C3B9B1A1EE8\057978BEDCC3104FB5D20494DADB50D. Verify you have sufficient access to that key or contact support personnel." The installation process continued and then stopped again with the same message but a different key. I cancelled the installation.

JACUSTOMER-1qk1h8cy- :

This is the same as my earlier attempts. David

Sergio A. :

Let's try a generic fix for downloading/installing problems:

Go to Start / Accessories / Command Prompt and right click on command prompt and clidk run as administrator.

Type sfc /scannow (note the space - it's important) and let it run. It scans and fixes your system files and may resolve the problem.

Sergio A.
Sergio A.
Sergio A., Mac Specialist