Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a MacBook 4GB with 500GB Ram and recently have run into

Customer Question
some trouble with it. I...
I have a MacBook 4GB with 500GB Ram and recently have run into some trouble with it. I had Adobe CS2 installed on it since June of 2011 and it has been working great. Just the other night I went to open Adobe Illustrator and I received an error about it quitting etc.... After that message I tried to open my other Adobe programs as well as files I had had and I received the same message. So I went ahead and uninstalled my CS2 programs, did the free upgrade to 10.6.8 and tried doing the Adobe Cleaner which I don't think really worked.I then proceeded to reinstall CS2 and received the same exact error as I did when I discovered the problem. With that being said I am also setup for Windows but was never able to open Microsoft Word etc.. but didn't really care. So I have been trying to figure this out and decided since none of my Adobe programs were working I would try to open Microsoft Word etc... To my surprise Word did open without any problems. Looking around I noticed I have an icon called Parallels on my desktop and was wondering if I could have hit something by accident that switched me over etc... which created all my Adobe programs not to work? The weird thing is that my husband took it to his work for the tech guys to look at they where able to install CS5 with no problem? Because they are a corporation they had to remove it but why would CS5 work and not CS2 all of a sudden? Thanks in advance
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
3/1/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 5 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Which version of OS X did you have before doing the update to 10.6.8?
Was there an error saying that CS was not able to run? Or was it just 'Unexpectedly quit'?
Did you prepare for the update? Apple doesn't say much about how to do these things and they should.

500GB is a whole lot of RAM, more likely it is 4GB RAM and 500GB hard drive, yes?
Just kidding around.

Parallels is a vital machine made to run other operating systems.
I use it myself, there is very little interaction except for file sharing between Mac and Parallels.

CS5 is a universal application made to run on Intel whereas CS2 is made for power PC, that is what Macs were before going to the Intel chip, there is a way to revive CS2 with Rosetta,

That should allow CS2 to run, better yet (I know this will cost) is an upgrade to CS5.
I don't use Adobe as a rule but I like PhotoShop Elements 4, the rest just doesn't do it for me.
I like Pixelmator (look in the App store for it), it is as good or better than PhotoShop IMO.

One thing that will help performance is repairing permissions, this PDF explains.
Does that help?
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello and thanks for your input so far. I was at 10.6.7 before upgrading and I was getting the unexpectedly quit error. You mentioned trying Rosette and I was wondering if that is free and where I might find it to download? Also I did not try the Repairing Permissions you had suggested so should I do that before getting back to you?
Thanks, Melissa
Melissa,
It is free and the link I sent tells you how to do it.
Here it is again, Mac OS X 10.6 Help: If you need to install Rosetta, give it a try.

I do suggest repairing the permissions before doing anything else. It is a good idea to it whenever there are Updates from Apple, it can save many headaches.

I went ahead and repaired the permission that you had suggested and am now trying to download Rosetta but when I go to the link you have attached I try to do the following option:

If your computer is connected to the Internet:
Click the Install button in the Rosetta dialog. Rosetta will be downloaded and installed for you.

problem is I don't see a dialog box that allows me to click install?

Mystery solved, what happens is when you try opening an Application that needs Rosetta it will open that dialog box, at least it is supposed to. Otherwise you won't see it, that they aren't clear on.

It may be that CS2 needs reinstalling, might work better now since permissions repair.

Ok so I went ahead and tried to reinstall CS2 and received the Quit Unexpectily message (same as before) with the following info: So confused does this mean I can't download Rosetta b/c I don't have Snow Leopard?

Process: Adobe Installer [1756]
Path: /Volumes/Adobe Creative Suite Disk 1/Adobe Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Installer
Identifier: com.adobe.ami.installer
Version: 1.0 (1.0)
Code Type: PPC (Translated)
Parent Process: launchd [171]

Date/Time: 2012-03-01 17:31:44.896 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 69982 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 3
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 3
Anonymous UUID: DB95929B-D5C5-449C-9948-2D43F81F83DE

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x80239236 __pthread_kill + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x80238ad7 pthread_kill + 95
2 com.adobe.ami.installer 0xb80bfb30 0xb8000000 + 785200
3 com.adobe.ami.installer 0xb80c0037 0xb8000000 + 786487
4 com.adobe.ami.installer 0xb80dd8e8 0xb8000000 + 907496
5 com.adobe.ami.installer 0xb8145397 spin_lock_wrapper + 1791
6 com.adobe.ami.installer 0xb801ceb7 0xb8000000 + 118455

Thread 1:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x80142afa mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x80143267 mach_msg + 68
2 com.adobe.ami.installer 0xb819440f CallPPCFunctionAtAddressInt + 206231
3 libSystem.B.dylib 0x80170259 _pthread_start + 345
4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x801700de thread_start + 34

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
eax: 0x00000000 ebx: 0x802fc540 ecx: 0xb7fff9ac edx: 0x80239236
edi: 0xb8211640 esi: 0x00000005 ebp: 0xb7fff9d8 esp: 0xb7fff9ac
ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00000286 eip: 0x80239236 cs: 0x00000007
ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037
cr2: 0x8023922c

Binary Images:
0x80000000 - 0x8005dff7 com.apple.framework.IOKit 2.0 (???) /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
0x8007d000 - 0x800e7fe7 libstdc++.6.dylib 7.9.0 (compatibility 7.0.0) /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
0x80142000 - 0x802e9ff7 libSystem.B.dylib 125.2.11 (compatibility 1.0.0) /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
0x8036b000 - 0x804e6fe7 com.apple.CoreFoundation 6.6.6 (550.44) /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
0x805de000 - 0x805ecfe7 libz.1.dylib 1.2.3 (compatibility 1.0.0) /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
0x805f1000 - 0x805fdff7 libkxld.dylib ??? (???) /usr/lib/system/libkxld.dylib
0x80601000 - 0x80647ff7 libauto.dylib ??? (???) /usr/lib/libauto.dylib
0x80654000 - 0x807d6fe7 libicucore.A.dylib 40.0.0 (compatibility 1.0.0) /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib
0x80838000 - 0x808e5fe7 libobjc.A.dylib 227.0.0 (compatibility 1.0.0) /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib
0x808f9000 - 0x808fcfe7 libmathCommon.A.dylib 315.0.0 (compatibility 1.0.0) /usr/lib/system/libmathCommon.A.dylib
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4162b dyld 132.1 (???) /usr/lib/dyld
0xb8000000 - 0xb81defff +com.adobe.ami.installer 1.0 (1.0) /Volumes/Adobe Creative Suite Disk 1/Adobe Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Installer
0xffff0000 - 0xffff1fff libSystem.B.dylib ??? (???) /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Translated Code Information:
objc[1756]: garbage collection is ON
NO CRASH REPORT
Model: MacBook2,1, BootROM MB21.00A5.B07, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.13f3
Graphics: Intel GMA 950, GMA 950, Built-In, spdisplays_integrated_vram
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x87), Atheros 5416: 2.1.14.6
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Network Service: Parallels Host-Only Networking Adapter, Ethernet, en3
Network Service: Parallels Shared Networking Adapter, Ethernet, en2
Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HTS545050B9A302, 465.76 GB
Parallel ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857D, 449.9 MB
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8501, 0xfd400000 / 2
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x021a, 0x1d200000 / 2
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8240, 0x5d200000 / 2
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8205, 0x7d100000 / 2
What that means is Adobe is crashing the installation.
Adobe does not make this easy to uninstall, only easy to install the first time.
This is what Adobe says about uninstalling CS2.
You will have to do some folder drilling to do this.
First, open a Finder window (click on the blue face in the dock or select New Finder window from File in the menu bar with finder showing).
Then put in column view.

Now follow this closely.
You know how drag the CS2 folder to the trash, do that.
Next, click on the small house with your name.
Now click on Library,Preferences,Adobe PhotoShop CS2 Settings, drag that to the trash.
In that same place drag Adobe PhotoShop CS2 Paths to the trash.
Empty the trash.
Install/uninstall Photoshop CS2 That is where that came from.
Now try installing CS2 again.
Try that.
So far I have deleted the above Photoshop etc but before I try to reinstall CS2 it looks like I have Adobe Illustrator Settings, Paths, Acrobat etc... all showing up in preferences as well, should I trash all that too?
Most likely, that is all part of CS2.
ALso look in the hard drive Library/Application support/Adobe, you may find an uninstaller there.
Ok so I trashed that stuff as well and all I have left is AdobeUM, Adobe Save for we Al 9.0 Prefs and a bunch of plist files left. So I went ahead and inserted the Adobe CS2 disk to install and got the same message Adobe Installer quit unexpectely as soon as I clicked on install. I couldn't find an unistaller like you had mentioned above but could I still have files or alias of the programs somewhere?
Ok, lets try a new user account and see if it will install there.

New test account

Once you have that set up logout of your account and login to the test account, now try installing it, this will tell us if it is the system or your account.

Ok I followed the steps above but another silly question how do I log out and relog back in under the test account?
That is easy, from the Apple menu at the bottom is Logout so and so.
That will take you to the login screen.

You get back the same way.

It looks like it's working:) Do I want to continue loading it under this account?

Yes, it is installing into the Applications folder which means it will also be available in the other account.
You may have to register it again in your account though.

So once everything is installed is my problem fixed? Do I work under this account or will everything be fine under the old account? Also under the new account my desktop is empty do I access it from applications as well?

You should be able to access CS2 from your old account, it gets installed system wide.
Give it a try, when it finishes logout of the test account and back into your account.

Let me know.
Thank you for all your help so far, I'll let you know. Do you work around the clock? LOL
No, not around the clock but I am on a lot.
I am free lance and retired so I have time to do what I like doing which is helping solve problems.
Please keep me posted.

Glad to hear that you don't work around the clock and I admire you for enjoying stuff like this! LOL

Well installation finished and I was able to open the programs under the new account:) Unfortunately when I switched back to the old account it did not open. I received the same error as before.... Is this something I will be able to fix or will this require outside service?

It is definitely account related and most likely a file Adobe has put somewhere.
One way to track most, if not all Adobe files down is to use Spotlight, that is the search box in the top right of the Finder window.

Another thing Adobe says it that in the folders Applications/Utilities there should be an Adobe uninstaller, you have done that. Now

Try using that, you may have done so already but it may take more than once.
You have done that but if it doesn't work now you may need a new user account.

On a side note, this is one reason I don't use Adobe products, when they run they are nice but when they don't a worse pain to fix I have a hard time finding.

I went to try the cleaner again but it doesn't have a CS2 version listed only 3, 4, 5 & 5.5 will it still work?

I am really happy you made it possable for me to access the programs with the other account so if I don't get this figured out can I just forget about it and use the other account or will it cause problems? Also is it possable to access my files that where on the desktop of the first account or do I have to move them to the applications folder?

For the other new account to see and use the files in question you will have to move them to the new account.
You may want to create a new account with your name and short name, make it a little different from the bad accounts info.
Then you can move all your data to the new account, it isn't hard, just time consuming.

Open the Mac HD (that is the hard drive on the desktop), find and open the Users folder, in that folder find the new account, inside that you will see a Public folder.
It will look similar to this.

Drag any files you want into that folder, to place them where you want them in the new account just do the reverse once logged into the new account.

Be careful and go slow, remember the iTunes Library, iPhoto Library also.
When you move those into the new account it will ask if you want to replace what is there, click yes.
This is another way to do this and may be better, can save headaches. Applies to Snow Leopard also.

This is easier to follow than the first one.

Just go slow and double check and you will be fine.

Let me know.
Dan thanks so much for getting back to me! After reading the How-To: Migrating to a new user .... link I have a few question. The moving of the Library makes me wonder if I should move it or leave it after reading the below information? The following statement suggest that it may contain corruption....

***Migrating the Library folder is optional, but it does contain a number of settings and application resources such as Mail accounts, and address book databases which that may be useful but may also contain corruption that could be causing the initial problems. If you want to start fresh with default settings then do not copy the Library over; however, if you want to try to preserve your old settings then do copy it over, replacing any duplicate items found.

So do you think I should move this or leave it once I start? Also about Resetting Permissions I am concerned because it states that I will need to

Reset Permissions
Insert your OS X installation DVD (the gray restore DVD that came with your computer should work) and boot from it by restarting while holding the "C" key down.

This is a problem because I purchased this computer used online so I never received any DVD with this computer? Does this mean I won't be able to complete the task correctly?

Thanks again, Melissa
I think that for all intents and purposes you will be fine. I would leave the Library alone for now, you can always go back for it.

The permission thing is both simple and complicated.
They are easy to change if you find something that gives you trouble.
Did this machine come with a blank user account? Many will sell them that way and it is almost a ripoff.
I do suggest investing in a copy of OS X 10.6, it is only $30 + tax and your Mac will run it fine.
It has the benefit of being able to repair this issue of migrating much easier.
I also strongly recommend an external hard drive to back it all up using either Time Machine or CorbonCopyCloner/Superdupper.

I suggest using one of those/ cloning your machine and start over with Snow Leopard, then you can use the copy you made of your user to migrate to the new system.

I know, this just keeps getting better and better.
This really is a headache and sounding more and more out of my league:( I was hoping to get this resolved by the weekend but maybe I should just have my brother-law, who knows his way around a mac a lot better than me move my files? You have been so helpful and I appreciate you getting me up and running under a new account! Also I was wondering if you could tell me if I have paid yet for your service? I am new to this site and not to sure. Thank you again for everything and wish me luck:)

Have a great weekend, Melissa

P.S. If for some reason I attempt more on my own can I contact you again?
Yes, you have indeed done you part about payment, you did that early on.
Having help is good, one can check the other. The biggest thing read first and click last.
It is like my carpenter father said, measure twice, cut once.

You are welcome, should you have more questions make not of my link in my signature, it will get directly to me.
Daniel, Mac Genius