iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

how do you safely remove a flash drive from a macbook pro,

how do you safely remove a flash drive from a macbook pro, lion?
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 5 years ago.

iteachmac :

Welcome ,I will give a full and clear answer to your question, please make sure to reply to any questions I have. They may be essential to my reply.

iteachmac :

Hi ,

iteachmac :

If this is a USB flash memory card you can drag the icon to the Trash can , that is now acting as an eject .

iteachmac :

Alt1 , Right mouse the icon or Select CMD click , choose eject from the contextual menu .

iteachmac :

At2 , click on the Finder in the dock , A window opens , In the list of devices on the left hand side of the windows , there is a small eject button for any external or USB memory cards . Click the Icon to eject .

iteachmac :

Does this help .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

iteachmac :

Extras:

iteachmac :

Use Disk Utility to eject , if you only want to unmount a single volume on the disk, is to use Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities. In Disk Utility, simply select the volume you want to unmount and click Eject.

please follow one of these guides to add an eject to your menu bar .

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/osx-menuextras/index.shtml

or

http://www.creativetechs.com/tips/quicktips_51.html

You may be able to eject using the menu bar tool , select the desktop icon , use eject.

Customer:

it said to go to the finder and select my hard drive. I don't see it. should it be listed under devices?

iteachmac :

Hard drive will be named Mac HD etc .

iteachmac :

If you don’t see it on your desktop you can show it on the desktop , by , Finder menu , prefs . Tick on all the boxes . close panel .

Customer:

I followed the first link you sent me and there is now an eject icon on the top right. When i click it , it says superdrive. is that what i want? I also went to finder menu, prefs, and clicked all boxes but it didn't show anything that sounded like it was related to this. Do we have a different version or maybe mine doesn't show what yours does.

iteachmac :

hi

iteachmac :

Hi super drive is the DVD burner in your mac , When a DVD or CD is inserted you can use the menu icon to eject .

iteachmac :

That eject menu bar will eject only the DVD or CD .

iteachmac :

For Flash drives or externals , you can use the Finder window Eject buttons . see picture .

iteachmac :

Full Size Image

iteachmac :

or you can drag the desktop icon to the trash , that is now an eject button , see photo below .

iteachmac :

Also see Finder preferences , and set as shown for Desktop icons.

iteachmac :

Click finder , See Finder menu , Finder menu , preferences , General tab.

iteachmac :

Full Size Image

iteachmac :

As you see in the photo , While dragging a external Drive icon , or flash card etc icon , to the trash can , The trash can now is looking like an eject Icon . .

iteachmac :

-

iteachmac :

Contextual menus via Right click or CMD click , you can use eject and get info and other options if needed to gather size info and rename files eject , copy paste , and so on . from a contextual menu. Known as right click on windows .

iteachmac :

Point the mouse pointer over an icon , then CMD click .

iteachmac :

The menu is displayed .

iteachmac :

Full Size Image

iteachmac :

From the contextual menu , you can eject external disks and flash drives and DVD CD .

iteachmac :

Does this help?

iteachmac :

Thanks.

iteachmac :

Use Firefox with the JA site is you can access the chat text . Will switch to Q and A mode , so you can more easy read the above .

Expert:  iteachmac replied 5 years ago.

Please remember to press accept button on each reply if valued ,
and bonus is welcome .

Thanks, again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the pictures help a lot. how do I get rid of the super drive eject icon on the top right? Also, what would you suggest would be the best way to save this and other chats? How would I "save as"?
Expert:  iteachmac replied 5 years ago.
Hi , To remove the super drive eject icon menu bar .

HOld option on your keyboard , and drag it to where you want it left or right , or out and release to remove .

The question here could be printed to PDF .

Come to this web page .

You can Print from the menus , and "Save as PDF" to make a PDF of the Webpage , this may help you in future .

Open the page ,

Go to the Menu : File . choose Print , or hit CMD P for print . .

The Print options open .

See PDF , click PDF , choose , Save as PDF .

Choose save location and file name , Save or Print PDF . .

A file will be saved to your Mac .

This should help you save or print any page or pages , you can do this from any Mac OSX application that supports printing via File print menu ..

-

and bonus is welcome .

Thanks, again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I must be doing something wrong. I can't get it to drag. While holding down the option key, I put the curser over the icon, held down the mouse pad to drag it. I was trying to delete it and drag it to the trash.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 5 years ago.
Hi ,

To drag a file , simply , Click on the Icon holding the click , and then drag .

Release click to drop .

Thanks.