David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

Hi David: I have a drawing that I did and I want to put

Customer Question

Hi David:

I have a drawing that I did and I want to put it into my website. I want a ‘black frame’ around it that I can apply from the Word Toolbox. I applied the frame and dragged the picture to the desktop. However, when I try to upload it to the ‘post’ file in my website, it won’t upload and it says: “Picture clipping.pictClipping” has failed to upload due to an error.” Can this be done?

God bless you…………..Gail
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
Hi Gail,

The file that is moved to Desktop when you drag and drop from Word is not the right format for web images.

If you save it from Word as an image, then you probably get the entire document, so I don't think that will work.

The easiest way is to take a screen grab of the drawing and frame. That will place a file on the Desktop that is the right format.

To take a screen grab press Control-Shift-4 and then drag the crosshair around the drawing and frame. You can practice it a few times until you get the image you want.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi David:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If I am understanding you correctly, I put the picture in Word...put the black frame around it.....press Control - Shift - #4. If that is right, I have done it but no screen grab is taking place. What have I done wrong?
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
Hi Gail.

When you press Control-Shift-4 the mouse arrow changes to a crosshair. click and drag to make a rectangle and that is then captured, and saved to the Desktop.

If you drag the rectangle around the frame then it will capture the image you want.

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI David:

When I put the mouse over the picture/frame it automatically becomes a crosshair without pressing Control-Shift-4 and a blue circles appear in the corners. Other than that no rectangle appears.

Thanks.......Gail
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
Hi Gail.

Try the Control-Shift-4 combination. It will present a different crosshair, and there will be a rectangle if you drag it out.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi David:

What on earth can I be doing wrong? I press Control - Shift - 4, as I did before I sent you the last reply, and all that happens is a 4 appears at the bottom right or sometimes left of the picture/frame. I'm sorry to be so 'thick' but I am doing as you say, however I must be doing something wrong. What can it be?

Thank you............Gail
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
Hi Gail.

It's a bit complicated so don't worry. It's fiddly and hard to explain without pictures, so I will give you this link to a YouTube demonstration. I just dug this up, sorry I didn't give you this first time around. I hope it helps.

http://youtu.be/xZPiD9v32pI

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi David:

I watched the tutorial. Thank you. I was able to do two out of three. After you hold down the Control - Shift - 4.....how do you take the shot? Do you just click the mouse....hit enter....I haven't been able to take that particular shot.

Thank you.............Gail
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
Hi Gail,

The Control-Shift-4 turns the mouse pointer into a crosshair. Put the crosshair at the top left of the image you want to capture, and click and hold down the mouse and drag the crosshair to the opposite corner. This creates a box around the image, and when you release the mouse on the opposite corner, it takes the screenshot. You can try it out a few times.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi David:

I'm so sorry for being such a nuisance. When I press Control-Shift-4, my mouse does not change into a crosshair. I honestly don't know what my problem is. I can't seem to get the transparent box. Well, at least I can do the other two. If there are any other suggestions to help me get this step, I would appreciate it.

Thank you...........Gail
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
Hi Gail.

No worries. Try moving the mouse arrow to somewhere on the screen that you can clearly see it. Then press Control-Shift-4 and it should change to a crosshair.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi David:

Thanks for all of your time and trouble. I put all of your instructions in my Word Documents. I’m thinking of calling it “Davipedia.” ;)

God bless you……………Gail

Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
Hi Gail,

I'm flattered :) And glad to be so helpful!

God bless you,
David.