Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a macbookpro and an external 28in. monitor and i have

Customer Question
really hard time to connect...
I have a macbookpro and an external 28in. monitor and i have really hard time to connect the laptop to the monitor. It seems that the sound is working but the monitor is black
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
2/1/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 5 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

What adpator are you using ?
what do u mean? I dont use any adaptor
So how you are connecting the MBP to your Monitor ?
with the adaptor and wires are connected in my Apple monitor
That is what i asked. What adaptor is this ? Mini Display Port to HDMI ?
I dont know how do i check?
it is connected to my monitor
Does the adaptor looks like this ?
graphic
can i have an email to send you the picture ?
Sorry, Just answer won't allow you to email us. You can upload the picture to www.wikisend.com and send me the download links of the uploaded file.
http://wikisend.com/download/958034/Photo on 2012-02-01 at 10.41.jpg

here u go
Okay...You got MagSafe, USB, MiniDisplay and Power cable.

Could you please send me the other end of your Mini Display Cable ?
u got my picture?

what u need now ? Sorry not very expert with PC s)
Yes. I need the picture of the other end of your MiniDisplay cable (the third one in picture)
http://wikisend.com/download/320734/Photo on 2012-02-01 at 11.04.jpg
No, not that end. I need need the picture of your Mini Display port adaptor. Send me the picture of the other end of your Display cable which is connected to the monitor. see picture below;
graphic
but you have both - that is coming from my monitor (the second pictiure( and is connected to my laptop

The think is that the big monitor when i connect it has sound and i can barely see inside. It looks like the brightness is to the lowest
Uhh ? Is this Apple Cinema Display ?
yes, it is an apple 28 inch monitor. Special for Apple laptop
Ah..Now i got it. You should call it Apple Cinema Display, not just a Monitor :)

Make sure you properly connected the cables without any visible gaps. Make sure they are fully seated in the socket. Check that and let me know. Only click Accept after we solved the problem.
But i do that several times, i can do that for 15-20 minutes in order to connect. i just get voice in the Apple Cinema Display but no picture
We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after it worked.
Ashik, Mac Technician
I dont think the above helped,

I belive it can be something in the setting of the Dispaly
I dont think the above helps

I belive will be something in the setting of the dispaly
We can check. In yoru Mac, goto System Preferences > Displays. Can you see your Cinema Display in there ?
I can see DISPLAY i go in but doesnt mention anything there about Cinema Display
Did you opened Displays in System Preferences ?
yes

I cannot see the Cinema Dispaly there
i also press detect displays and does nothing
Then your Mac isn't recognizing it. When did this problem started ?
i had this problem since i bout the Display may be a year a go. The thing is that it connects but after some effort and delay. I connect and disconnect teh wires several times and turn on and off the power supply and at some point it connects. But the last few days is getting worst
Then your Display is failing. You will have to take it to the Apple Store to get it fixed. I'm sorry i couldn't solve your problem, this is something we can't fix online
Ashik, Mac Technician