Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

how do i set up locate phone on my new iphone 4s?

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Josh replied 5 years ago.
Hi! My name is Josh and I will be assisting you,

First, make sure your iPhone is using iOS5

To update to iOS 5, just connect your device to your Mac or PC and follow the onscreen instructions in iTunes. (Requires iTunes 10.5.)

Step 2:

When you turn on a new iOS device or after you’ve completed the update to iOS 5, follow the onscreen instructions to activate your device and set up iCloud.*

If you skipped the setup process or want to change your iCloud settings, tap the Settings icon on the Home screen and select iCloud.

Step 3:

Tap the Settings icon and select iCloud. Tap the On/Off switches to enable individual iCloud services, including Photo Stream, Documents, Find My iPhone, and more.

To enable Backup, tap Storage & Backup, then switch on iCloud Backup.

Step 4:

Enable automatic downloads.

To enable automatic downloads for your music, apps, and books, tap the Settings icon on the Home screen and select Store.

Step 5:

Download Find my iPhone in the App store

Step 6:

1. On your device’s Home screen, tap Settings, and then tap iCloud.

If you are asked to sign in with your Apple ID, then you haven’t set up iCloud on this device. Set up iCloud now.

2. At the bottom of the screen, tap to turn on Find My iPhone (or Find My iPad or Find My iPod), and when asked to confirm you want this option, tap Allow.

Tip: For added security, you can set up a passcode that needs to be entered before anyone can access the apps and information on your device (tap Settings > General > Passcode Lock). You can also turn on Restrictions to specifically prevent changes to your app settings, such as being able to turn Find My iPhone on or off (tap Settings > General > Restrictions). For more information, see the user guide for your device in Safari bookmarks or on the Support website.

Turn on Find My Mac on a Mac

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click iCloud.

If you are asked to sign in with your Apple ID, then you haven’t set up iCloud on this Mac. Set up iCloud now.

2. At the bottom of the screen, select the Find My Mac checkbox, and then confirm that you want to allow Find My Mac to use the location of this Mac.

Tip: For added security, make sure your user account requires a password and that automatic login is turned off in Users & Groups preferences. For more information, in the Finder, choose Help > Help Center.

Step 7: (locate your device)

Locate your lost iOS device or Mac

1. Go to icloud.com/find and sign in using your Apple ID (the one you use with iCloud).

If you’re already signed in to a different application on icloud.com, click the iCloud button

to switch applications.

If your device is online, its approximate location is shown on the Find My iPhone map (it may take a few minutes). The green circle around the device’s location indicates the accuracy of the location (the smaller the better).

If Find My iPhone is unable to locate your device for one hour, Old Location appears above your device name on the map. The last known location is displayed for up to 24 hours, after which the map is cleared.

Note: If the device is currently offline, you can choose to receive an email when the device comes back online with a location. To receive this email, click the blue Info button to the right of the device name and then click “Email me when this device is found.”
  2. Do any of the following: