Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi Happy new year! im trying to put my copy of snow leopard

Customer Question
Hi Happy new year! im trying...
Hi
Happy new year! im trying to put my copy of snow leopard onto a first gen macbook air. i put a copy of the OS onto aXXXXX(i believe succesfully!) so i can work through the usb but im a little unsure what to do next-im happy to clean install as ive backed up data required. Id appreciate any help
kind regards
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
1/1/2012
Mac Support Specialist: Mac Tech, Apple Specialist replied 6 years ago
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer and Happy New Year to you too!

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Proceed with these steps:

Boot your Mac with the "Option" key held down.

You will then be presented with boot options. Choose your external hard drive.

Then proceed to install. When the installer asks for the location to install Snow Leopard, select your internal hard drive.

Continue with the installation until complete.

Reply back if you have any further questions.

Only click on "Accept" if this solution has worked for you.

Thank you,

MT
HI
Thanks for the speedy response!
ok-ive started mac air pressed option (mines an alt key) comes up with image of hard drive and image of the usb drive stating Snow leopard underneath. There is no installer question just the images-is that right?
Go ahead with that.

If you've setup the copy of Snow Leopard properly is should allow you to initiate the installation process.
ok
is it possible that the mac air is running snow leapord direct off the external drive (i did as you said and it came up as 10.6 but it did it with a miniute! there was no installation prompting-just seems strange!
Did you perhaps install Snow Leopard on the USB drive instead of formatting as a boot drive and copying the installation package?
does the boot drive ivolve choosing the GIUD/GIUD option?
Take a look at this tutorial and make sure you've done it this way:
http://maketecheasier.com/create-mac-snow-leopard-usb-installer-disk/2009/10/08
IF not, redo please.
Hi
i redid the usb snow lep to your tutorial and its now began installing on the mac air (got about 40 mins to go!) fingers crossed.
Ok, let me know how it goes.

Thank you.
hi
ok - this is doesn't seem right. The mac book air seemed to go through installation it only finished 5/10 mins ago. The welcome video came on in a seperate window on and im at the THANKYOU page where you get 5 options of how to work with different stuff igot the usual continue button at the bottom of the window but i cant click it?
All this has all acured on the origanal desktop that was set up in Leopard (ie the dock was put on the left hand side and a couple of folder where left on the desktop. Set up assistant is running and software update is showing active from the dock but i cant click anything (im going to get a wired usb mouse) any thoughts
Sounds like OS X is waiting for you to act on a Question(s).

Use command & tab keys to scan through all active applications, OR minimize all windows until you find the active window.

If that does not work, reboot. It should pick up where you left off when your Mac is re-started.
Hi
(apologies for delay) i redid install and it achieved the upgrade to snow leopard-its fast! BUT the click button and trackpad are not at all well. Sometimes the track pad works mostly not pointer can hang-i have to restart everytime-have i done something wrong on installation?
Thank you for the update!

This is unusual and sounds more like a hardware issue.

Let's try an SMC reset for this issue:
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Also, please reply back with the serial number of your MacBook Air.
Hi
did the SMC reset didnt work (or maybe it did!) still got mouse doing strange things. Then read something about universal access - pressed option key 5 times and viola! all seems well.....so could have been the reset-what do you think?
shall i do a restart to see if things are worked out for future use or shall i change anymore settings.
Thanks very much for your help so far-looking forward to accepting the answer
Fine business. You may have inadvertently turned-on Universal Access.

Sounds like it's working well now. You can restart your Mac and test.
ok mouse track moves ok now but picks nothing up. usb mouse exactly same. Whats happening?
Did you try your previous fix again?

Also, reply back with the MacBook's serial number.
yes tried again no joy
sorry forgot to do serial number-cant get into about this mac due to mouse issue is there another way?
Look on the bottom of your MacBook.

Also, disconnect ALL USB and external devices.

Reboot your MacBook and test.
ha
redid SMC and usb mouse got to serial no

serial Number (system) W880690ZY51
I don't understand your last reply.

Please detail for me.
took all usbs out then rebooted
mouse pionter starts at top left of screen, as i (trackpad) pull mouse down to centre (one finger) the drop down menu from the apple symbol appears then the mouse can go into and highlight a sub menu ie dock but it cannot click to open using tap on track or the main button. After moving the mouse off i can press escape and the menu dissappears. The mouse now moves fine but will pick nothing up
have you got the serial number?
Thank you.

And when you connect an external pointing device, the behavior is identical?

BTW - If you didn't know already, your Mac is out of warranty.
hi
i know about warranty but thanks for investigating. Ok just tried usb mouse again same (identical) reaction as the track mouse
Run Software Updates again, 2x install all updates.

Reply back with the Processor and RAM information of your MBA.
ok will do (thanks for your patience) got some family stuff to do now-bye for now
ok
Mac Tech
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist