Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am trying to get my yahoo email to sync with iCloud. At

I am trying to get...
I am trying to get my yahoo email to sync with iCloud. At this time, I am not receiving any of my emails. I have set up iCloud on my computer, iPad, and iPhone. I am not receiving any of my emails, even though I have configured outlook like the instructions apparently was telling me to do. I really need help.
12/17/2011
Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist

Toby K. :

what instructions are you referring to?

Toby K. :

Are you able to send/receive email in Outlook?

Toby K. :

If you are using a PC for Outlook, you should open the iCloud Control Panel and put a check next to Mail.

Toby K. :

let me know if you have any questions, I will be around. If this was helpful, then please press the Accept button so I may receive credit for your question. Thank you!

Customer:

I am referring to the instructions that I received from the iCloud welcome email. No, I am not able to send/receive email on Outlook. The iCloud instructions indicated that I needed to configure Outlook to be able to send and receive my emails. I have done that, but I do not seem to be receiving any emails.

Toby K. :

first, we need to fix the problem in Outlook

Toby K. :

if you cannot receive mail in Outlook, then iCloud will not work either

Toby K. :

what are your server settings?

Customer:

I did open the iCloud Control Panel and there is a check next to mail. This still does not seem to to the trick. What else do I need to do?

Customer:

What do you mean? You are asking what my server settings are? Before trying to set up iCloud, I did not have any trouble getting my mail on my PC, Ipad, or iPhone. I was setting up iCloud so that these changes would be in sync on all three.

Toby K. :

If you turn off iCloud are you receiving emails?

Toby K. :

iCloud should not prevent you from receiving your emails in Outlook

Toby K. :

which version of Outlook is this?

Customer:

The Outlook is from Microsoft Standard 2007. The only emails I have received are the ones from Just answer. On my iPad, I am just hitting the mail icon and it shows that I have 4 pieces of mail, but they are all from Just answer. I know that I have much more mail that I am not receiving.

Toby K. :

ok, so in outlook and your iPad, you have the emails from JA?

Toby K. :

so it seems to be working in some way

Toby K. :

now what happens if you send yourself an email

Customer:

That is correct. I will try. When I attempt to go to mail in order to follow your instructions about sending myself an email, I get a message asking if I really want to leave this page. That if I do, I may lose all that have gone on before. I will leave the page and see what happens.

Customer:

When I left this page and went into my yahoo email, I sent myself a test email. It was successful. I received the test email on my PC and on my iPad.

Toby K. :

so thats god

Toby K. :

good

Customer:

I just noticed that when I hit settings on my iPad, the iCloud account is not the same as my apple ID. When I attempt to change so that it would be in sync, I cannot change the line where it has Apple ID. It looks like it will allow me to change my password, but not the Apple ID. However, it does not match my Apple ID. Could this be the problem?

Toby K. :

could be yes

Toby K. :

it should be your @me.com account

Customer:

Okay. My @me account is not showing up correctly. Instead, it is showing an old email account. How do I correct this?

Toby K. :

the ipad wil not let you change it?

Toby K. :

now, did you sign in with the account you use for iTunes?

Toby K. :

what is the 2nd acccount? an old @me.com acct?

Customer:

No. In settings, under iCloud, the Account id is an old email. When I hit that, it goes to Account that has the wrong Apple ID, but under advanced where it states mail, it has the correct account.

Customer:

Originally, I signed up for iCloud with my regualar iTunes name and password. I was asked to make them both the same. I tried and thought that I did that. However, the Apple id still has the old email account in the window under apple id. I do not understand this. I have purchased songs from the iTunes store with the new ID and password.

Toby K. :

Sign into iCloud.com then click on your name in the top-right-hand corner of the main screen. Click the button down in that sub-menu (APPLE ID). From there, it will take you to a new page & click Manage ID. See if there are two accounts there.

Customer:

Toby, How do I sign into iCloud? Should I attempt to do this on my PC or on my iPad?

Toby K. :

PC

Toby K. :

go to icloud.com and sign in with your apple id

Customer:

Toby,

Toby K. :

yes

Customer:

This will sound very basic, but how do I go to iCloud.com to sign in. When I went to icloud.com, I only got some information pages. I did not see where I could sign in with an apple id.

Toby K. :

just click the above link

Customer:

Toby,

Customer:

I did that. I was able to check that and it allowed me in with my apple id. Will there be a way for me to go to icloud without going to the control panel in the future? I still did not have my regular email at that site.

Toby K. :

icloud is just a syncing service

Toby K. :

that is all

Customer:

I notice that all my other apps are on my ipad so that I just need to touch them. However, for me to even get to iCloud, I have to go into settings and then click icloud. Okay, if iCloud is only a syncing service, why hasn't it synced my mail? What else do I need to do?

Toby K. :

but I thought you said it was syncing earlier

Toby K. :

you had the mail on the PC as well as the ipad

Toby K. :

and then you sent yourself an email it showed up in both places

Toby K. :

I'm not sure where the problem is

Toby K. :

I can opt-out and let another Expert work with you, if you would like

Customer:

Are you saying that iCloud is syncing everything, including my mail as long as info is showing up on all three devices? I may have had a different understanding about the need to access iCloud. It just seems so odd that I do not seem to be getting my normal number of emails, now that I have configured Outlook as I was asked to do by iCloud. Perhaps, it is working correctly.

Toby K. :

you can check by going to Yahoo Mail

Toby K. :

it sounds like its working to me

Customer:

I just checked and my test message to myself and all the Just answer messages are on my iPhone and my iPad. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will go to Yahoo mail and check.

Toby K. :

they even make an app for Yahoo Mail - http://mobile.yahoo.com/iphone

Customer:

Thank you. I think I finally have things set up.

Toby K. :

ok great!

Toby K. :

If I was helpful, please press the Accept button so I can receive credit for your question. Thank you!

Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Toby K.
Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist