Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Im trying to make labels in Word 2008 using an excel file

Customer Question
I'm trying to make labels...
I'm trying to make labels in Word 2008 using an excel file as the source document. Everytime I select the excel file in Mail merge though, I get an error message that says I don't have the excel workbook text converter. Any ideas how I get that?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
12/9/2011
Mac Support Specialist: John D, BS Degree in Engineering replied 5 years ago
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering

Would you be able to send me the excel file so I can check it. To do so go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

I'm not comfortable sending it. Its full of private addresses. Besides - it worked last year with another word program. It seems to be a problem with my Word not excel.
You can password XXXXX the file before sending it
Its not a problem with the excel file. Its a problem with Word or with my Excel. I've used Mail merge before. When I select the file I get the following message from Word:

"This file needs to be opened by the Excel Workbook text Converter, which may pose a security risk if the file you are opening is a malicious file. Choose OK to open this file only if you are sure it is a trusted source".

My research shows this is a standard message. I then get a message that says:

"The Converter necessary to open this file cannot be found".

I need to know where to get the converter.

You do not need a converter if you can open that Excel file. I need the Excel file so I can see what the problem is and set up a Word document to do the mail merge from it

ok will try to send now
http://wikisend.com/download/252026/Christmas List_120811v2.xlsx

Okay - link is above. Let me know if you can figure it out. I tried it on my mac book as well and got the same error message.

Got the file, thanks. Could you send me the password XXXXX open it

It's "mine"

Ok as I expected there was a problem with the data structure in that Excel file. Here is a sample output after having fixed the file and ran the mail merge on it

Attachment: 2011-12-09_193357_christmas_list.docx

Let me know if that is ok so I will send you the excel file

Thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

I see that you were able to make it work but I don't understand what was wrong with the Excel file. It has worked in the past. Can you explain how you changed it.

Sure I will send you the corrected excel file and include the explanation, in the meantime you can go ahead and click Accept if that solution worked - that is the only way I get credit for helping.

Thanks

John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Okay - I would like to make sure it works on my computer first but I guess I'm going to have to put my faith in you.

Thanks.

Ok first download this excel file, and save it to your desktop (before opening it). Then start your mail merge from Word and go to your desktop to select that file. Let me know how it works so I tell you how to fix your own excel files

http://www.2shared.com/file/nm3BgGFb/Christmas_List_120811v2_MODIFI.html

(make sure to click the blue DOWNLOAD button at the bottom of the download page)

It didn't' work. Got the exact same error message. Really frustrated right now. Especially as I've already paid.

Can you tell me the exact steps you took from the time you opened the Word document.

I opened a new blank document. Selected Mail Merge Manager. selected Labels. Next step was to Get List and I selected the modified file from my desk top. I got the same warning as before:

"This file needs to be opened by the Excel Workbook text Converter....etc".

Selected OK.

Got the Same error message as before

"the converter necessary to open this file cannot be found".

Ok first let me clarify that your original excel file had empty rows in it which could not work as a mail merge file in any Office version. It did not work on my system first until I removed the empty row, then it worked fine

Now you seem to have another issue with your Office in addition to the data structure.

Could you download this version, close all Word and Excel files, then start Word and do mailmerge on this new file and let me know

http://wikisend.com/download/179150/Christmas%20List_120811v2%20MODIFIED%202.xls

this created a new issue. When I selected the new modified file it opened a box that said Convert File From: and then offered several different options. First was Text only, etc. I selected Excel Workbook and it didn't work.

You seem to have a problem with you Office application. Are you able to use mail merge at all? Try using it with any generic or a new excel file and see if it works at all

Yes - works with my Address book as the source. Just won't work with Excel.

Were you ever able to do mail merge on an excel file using this system before?

No - I've used this excel file with word on another computer. Not with this computer/word

First I would like you to test the file that I sent you on another system to make it sure it does work so we can consider that the first issue has been resolved before moving on further

Its also doesn't work on my Mac book. As I indicated from the outset - its a problem with my word/office. I have to leave now and won't have access to internet until tomorrow. I need this excel workbook text converter that it keeps referring to.

Ok I will check further and post a reply and you can see it tomorrow when you get back

I just tried it on my son's computer. He has a newer version of Word and it worked. Clearly my word.

It should. Which version does he have?

If you want me to create the final mailing labels for you and send them to you in an output word file so you can print it, let me know.

14.1.3 Word 2011. I created the labels on his and sent them to my computer so at least I have a document I can work with.

Would like to know how to fix my word though.

Great!

There are many draw backs with Office 2008, (among other things it is the only version of Office where standard vba macros cannot run). So I suggest that you upgrade to version 2011 - you won't regret that.

Otherwise you can try to fix the current version by first uninstalling Office 2008 (provided you have it on a cd and have the product code to reinstall it). Then create a new user account on your Mac (this should eliminate the possibility that the cause of the problem may be a corruption in your profile) then reinstall Office 2008

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

John D
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering