Mac

My Iomega Minimax 1 TB external hard drive is powered, plugged…

Customer Question
My Iomega Minimax 1 TB...
My Iomega Minimax 1 TB external hard drive is powered, plugged in via firewire but is not recognized. It was working perfectly for the last three months and stopped a couple days ago. Any suggestions?... Read full answer
My Iomega Minimax 1 TB external hard drive is powered, plugged in via firewire but is not recognized. It was working perfectly for the last three months and stopped a couple days ago. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
12/7/2011
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
David, Mac Support Specialist
Hi my name is David.

Maybe there is a problem with the FireWire port that we can try to fix by resetting the System Management Controller. Do different hard drives work with your Mac?

Kind regards,
David.

PS Please bookmark this page if you want to get back to this answer again.
Yes. I have tried a couple of different usb and firewire hard drives

If other drives work OK and this drive does not work on any other computer then it appears to be a problem with the MiniMax hard drive. Does the MiniMax have it's own power supply?

Kind regards,
David.
Yes it does. It has been working just fine until three days ago.

Was there any power cut, or damage to the drive? Does it make any noise at all when you plug in the power supply?

Kind regards,
David.
It makes its usual start-up noise and sounds like it is running like it used to.

Can you open System Profiler (System Information in Lion) in /Applications/Utilities/ and click FireWire on the left.

Is the drive recognized there?

Kind regards,
David.
It is not recognized there. It reads "FireWire Bus:

Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices.
Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec"

It looks like a faulty enclosure. You would void the warranty but you could try to open the hard drive enclosure, and put the disk into a new enclosure.

Other than that you could bring the drive to data recovery specialists which would be very expensive.

I'm sorry the conclusion has come to be a hardware issue. I hope I have given you all the options open to you, but if you have more questions I will be happy to answer.

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My 500 GB IOmega external hard drive 800 firewire for my
My 500 GB IOmega external hard drive 800 firewire for my MacBook Pro has served me well for several years but is has now crashed. can I get a replacement disk drive to replace the crashed one? Also, i… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
An external hard drive was running and connected to my iMac.
An external hard drive was running and connected to my iMac. I forgot the hard drive was on, so I didn't put it away on the desktop (right click on the icon on the desktop and eject the drive properly… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
My macbook was accidentally disconnected from the Iomega minimax
My macbook was accidentally disconnected from the Iomega minimax 1TB external hard drive. When I plug it in now, I get a warning message telling me that the hard drive was ejected improperly appearing… read more
Mac Genius,
Stop searching for answers—
I have an iomega 500 GB Hard Drive I used it about 11 months
I have an iomega 500 GB Hard Drive I used it about 11 months with Firewire 400 suddenly it disappeared from my desk top By the time I discovered that it was hopeless the warranty ran out. I installed … read more
OSXpert
OSXpert
Software Engineer,
My 1 TB Seagate drive is whirring away but the icon on the
My 1 TB Seagate drive is whirring away but the icon on the desktop has disapeared and the light on the external drive has stopped working. any suggestions?… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
i have been using a recently purchased Iomega eGo BlackBelt
i have been using a recently purchased Iomega eGo BlackBelt Mac Edition 1 TB FireWire 800/FireWire 800/USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive 35115 as back up for new macbook pro (15 in, 2.8 GHzm intel)… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hi, i have a mac book and a few months ago a bought a LaCIe
Hi, i have a mac book and a few months ago a bought a LaCIe d2 Hard Drive of 1 tera. It was working just wonderfully until yesterday ,that for no reason my mac doesn't recognizes this hard drive. I've… read more
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
System Administrator,
I have an Iomega Minimax 1TB and used to have it connected
I have an Iomega Minimax 1TB and used to have it connected to my Mac Mini via Firewire. However, I no longer have the Mac Mini and have invested in a Unibody Macbook ... which, unfortunately, doesn't … read more
Mercedes
Mercedes
Prepress Mgr., Mac & Software Geek,
I have MiniMax Desktop Hard Drive since the middle of January,
I have MiniMax Desktop Hard Drive since the middle of January, 2010 and since 2/7/10 this back-up slows down all my functions. like "new file" takes several minutes with, the multi-colored ball spinni… read more
iteachmac
iteachmac
Electrician / Programmer / Sound design,
hi, i bought an iOmega eGo 500 gb portable ext. hard drive
hi, i bought an iOmega eGo 500 gb portable ext. hard drive last month for travel abroad. it does not register on my mac desktop now that i am home. how can i get finder to recognize it? thanks… read more
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer
My Iomega MiniMax stopped being recognized by my MacBook Pro.
My Iomega MiniMax stopped being recognized by my MacBook Pro. I noticed that the light on the front was blinking. I tried it on another computer, but no response. The hard drive isn't even spinning. H… read more
Jeff Micono
Jeff Micono
Folks I have a couple LaCie HDs. One is 1000GB and I think
Folks: I have a couple LaCie HDs. One is 1000GB and I think the other is 250 or 500GB. Recently I plugged in the 1TB drive and it wouldn't mount although the blue light on the end continued to flash. … read more
John P
John P
Stop searching for answers—
Have an Iomega Minimax 500 GB on several occasions the drive
Have an Iomega Minimax 500 GB on several occasions the drive fails to show on desktop at startup. I have to reboot sometimes I have to turn off and unplug both power and FireWire connections. I have b… read more
i am using an iomega minimax external hard drive, it wont mount
i am using an iomega minimax external hard drive, it wont mount on my mac, it powers up fine, and other hard drives show up when they are plugged in through it to my mac, but that one itself will not … read more
Mac Genius,
I have an Iomega external hard drive with two 500 megabyte
I have an Iomega external hard drive with two 500 megabyte drives I use to back up the internal hard drive on a PowerMac G5. I also use it to back up photo images I have saved to DVDs. While I was in … read more
Self Employed Macintosh Consultant,
I have an Iomega 320GB portable hard drive Serial Number DLAJ5100RM
I have an Iomega 320GB portable hard drive Serial Number: DLAJ5100RM I thought it was plug and play as is the case with most drives these days. However this unit only works on a PC. Can I download Mac… read more
I have an external firewire 1.5 TB Hard drive. When I turn
I have an external firewire 1.5 TB Hard drive. When I turn it on I just get a ticking noise. Fan doesn't run (power supply?) and drive does not mount on desk top. What's the problem?… read more
Eric C
Eric C
I cant get my iMac to recognize an external WD My Book Studio
I can't get my iMac to recognize an external WD My Book Studio II disk (It's a 2 TB disk; I have a 1 TB iMac if that is important.) Can you help?… read more
Bob Cook
Bob Cook