Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Movie from itunes Mac to watch on apple laptop

Customer Question

how do i share or watch a movie from my Mac itunes to my apple laptop
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

So you have a movie in iTunes on your desktop and wish to watch it on your laptop, is that correct?

If so can you tell us if you have iTunes loaded on the laptop or just the one copy on your desktop?

Can you also tell us if the movie was downloaded from iTunes or does it come from a different source?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have itunes on the laptop.

The movie was created by me on imovie and shared to itunes.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

you have two options, the first would be to open up iTunes on your desktop and then share your iTunes library then go to the Macbook and do the same thing so you could then access files from the desktop on the laptop and vice versa.

To do that can you follow the steps in this Apple article under Home Sharing http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2688

The second article would be to open a finder window on your desktop and navigate to your home folder/library itunes media folder then just find the movie and copy it and move it to your laptop then drag and drop it into your iTunes window on the laptop and it will then be transfered into your library

Let me know which you prefer and if you need more information

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will read the article first. I tried home sharing, however it only showed iphoto to share not itunes.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

when you enable the share you do it from inside iTunes and it should then share your iTunes library, Music and movies.

However if that is an issue then the better way may be to just copy the movie to your other machine.

Just take your time and let me know if you have any issues or need any instructions to setup the share or move the file

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not satisfied with your answer. Do you mean copy it on a disk, then just download from the disk?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Yes,

If you do not wish to share the libraries by opening iTunes and setting up the home share then the only other easy way is to transfer the movie from one machine to the other.

There are other ways to share the files from your desktop to your macbook, Such as setting up a home network and sharing the contents of the desktops drive by opening the system preferences menu from the apple icon and then choosing sharing and Click the + (plus) icon below the Shared Folders: field. then you just browse to the folder or folders you want to share and then click the + next to users and add your other MAcs user account so you can then open a finder window on your macbook and browse to the shared folder.

Like I said there are a lot of options, however the home share from within iTunes is the easiest to setup.

If you want more options or step by step help setting up a share from iTunes or a file share let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you walk me through the steps for "enable the share you do it inside itunes"
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Sure,

If you would open iTunes on your desktop and then click on the Advanced menu on the top toolbar.

From there you should have the option in the drop down to turn on home share.

If you would click that and then you will be prompted to enter your iTunes password

After you enter your password you will then need to click on create home share.

Once it is ready it will then tell you the share is ready to use.

At that point go the macbook and open iTunes then look on the left hand menu and you should see a section called Shared and the newly created home share should be listed from the other machine.

If you would give it a double click it will then walk you through the authorization process and you will then see the other machines library contents listed so you can then just give them a click to play them.

If you would try that and then let me know if you have any issues

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry Guy, got it on my own.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

So you followed the original instructions I posted to set up the home share or are you saying you did it by yourself without my first or second set instructions?

Let me know what you mean

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I mentioned in the beginning I had already set up the home share. Also the site you sent me too did not exist. Then you began to use vague terminology such as enable and copy without specifics. Also, I just went to preferences and drop down to the appropriate directions. Sorry your answers were not %100 satisfactory, just as you advertise. Therefore I cannot accept your answer. You probably are a great tech, but some of us lay guys range from almost expert to special ed, if you will.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Fair enough.

I just wanted to clarify what you did so I knew.

Thanks