Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My new Mac Book Pro with Lion OSX will not boot up. The status

Customer Question
My new Mac Book Pro...
My new Mac Book Pro with Lion OSX will not boot up. The status line shows up and it shuts down when the status line is around one quarter of the way done. Help!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mac
12/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 5 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after it worked.
Neither solution above worked. Computer still hangs and shuts down at the same point on the progress indicator.
  • Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu
  • This will boot your Mac to Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu and select Disk Utility
  • Repair your disk and Repair Permission
Let me know if that didn't worked.

Which disk should I choose. The 750 Gb standard internal hard drive or the Mac OSX Base System drive?

Can't you see a Recovery Disk in there ? If not, try Mac oS X Base System Drve
Ran the utility on my standard internal drive. Disk repair came back with reply: "Cannot repair this disk, back up your data and reformat the drive". Is there not any other solution? I have a lot of expensive programs I will have to reinstall.
Well, if it can't repair disk then you have to reinstall your OS X. See here : http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A
Ashik, Mac Technician
Ashik, Mac Technician