Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

primary problem is I cannot access my gmail acct thru Mail

Customer Question
on my Mac. I...
primary problem is I cannot access my gmail acct thru Mail on my Mac. I had my comcast and gmail accts both show up in my inbox together. After making some changes in my google acct to update a credit card to purchase a droid app, and trying to set up a 2 step verification (?) unsuccessfully, I noticed I had no gmail in my inbox. There is a small blue dot with a white zigzag near where my gmail label had been near my other (Comscast) acct which is still OK. I can enter gmail thru gmail.com, but I find no sign of it in Mail. How do I get it back working in harmony with comcast.net in Mail?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
11/30/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

The issue your running into is.. When you enable two step verification.. You then need to go into your google account,a nd then create an application specific password XXXXX work with Apple mail

And then, once thats done, you must go into apple mail, and enter the new password XXXXX the gmail account.

The link below, will walk you through both parts of the process..

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=1173270

You must either do this, or else turn off 2 step verification, change your gmail password on google.com

and then.. make sure to update the password XXXXX mac mail

If you get stuck, or have any questions, let me know!

Please click the green accept button to show I have assisted you.

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.
If my answer helped, please make sure to leave positive feedback on the screen that comes up after clicking accept. If my answer did not work, please wait to leave feedback till we get the issue fixed!
Ok, shut off the 2 step verification, changed the password. How do I change the password XXXXX macmail?
in mac mail

Click Mail > Preferences..

Click Accounts, Then, click on the gmail account

it should bring up a screen that has password XXXXX it.. Delete the old password, and then carefully enter the new one.

Save the settings.. And your gmail should be flowing again. Let me know if you run into any issues!

Did that twice, and a large mailbox called "imports" loaded over 5000 emails. Gmail still hasn't shown up in the inbox (only comcast is there) and the blue dot with the zigzag is still there..... sorry...
The large inbox called imports. is that possibly your gmail?

do the messsages in there match what should be in the gmail account?
No, they were gmails but many repeats of same ones (pagefuls at a time) and the date range was from about May to early October.
Ok.. question.

when you went to mail, preferences, accounts

how many accounts did it have listed?

because it seems as if either, one of the accounts is listed twice, or maybe that the gmails are now importing through another account.. so let me know what you see in the account screen,
and what we may have to do, is delete entirely the gmail account

and then re add it as a pop3 account..
There are two, comcast.net and gmail IMAP. They are just as they have been for 3-4 years except for the new password XXXXX gmail.
Ok.. The imports folder must have been gmail then.. Before we switch to pop to simplify things.

If you log into gmail.com is all your email still there?
there are about 700 including opened and unopened as far back as 03/10
So basically, it still has all the mail you need online then?

So we can delete the account from mac mail, and you wont lose mail because what you need is still on gmail then..

Thats what i want to make sure of before we continue as i dont want to destroy your mail.
I appreciate that. Where do we go from here?
Ok,

go into mail, preferences, and then accounts

click the minus sign next to gmail, then remove it

Then restart the mac

then.. check mail.. All your gmail files should be gone

Then.. go back into preferences, accounts

click the add sign and re add the gmail account

It shoudl re download the mail.. Let me know if anything goes wrong.
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist