Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

i cannot sync my iphone 4S calendar with my MacBook Pro iCal.

Customer Question
Any suggestions?...
i cannot sync my iphone 4S calendar with my MacBook Pro iCal. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
11/25/2011
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
David, Mac Support Specialist
Hi my name is David.

Open iTunes and connect the iPhone. Click the iPhone in the iTunes sidebar.

Along the top next to Summary, click Info. Scroll down to Sync iCal Calendars and tick the box next to it.

Click Apply in the bottom right, and all your calendars will sync to your iPhone.

If there are any problems please get back to me.

Kind regards,
David.

PS Please bookmark this page if you want to get back to this answer again.
This did not work. I need more suggestions.

Can you create a new calendar in iCal, and add some test entries to it. Then go to iTunes, iPhone, Info and Calendar Syncing. Make the test calendar selected, and click Apply in the bottom right. The calendar should sync.

Kind regards,
David.
The new test calendar synced to my iphone. But what about all my other entries that aren't syncing?

It is possible to copy and paste all your events from one to the other.

View all calendars in iCal, and then un-tick all calendars except the damaged/problem calendar.

Then click one event and click Edit -> Select All.

Then Click Edit Copy. Go back to all calendars and un-tick the problem calendar, create a new calendar and click Edit -> Paste.

Kind regards,
David.
does icloud automatically copy all of these changes?

iCloud will update all those changes.

Also if you are syncing with iCloud on your iPhone and your iCal, the calendar should sync over the air.

You shouldn't need to connect to sync, but then the reason that wasn't working is probably the same as why the direct connection wasn't syncing either.

The new calendar will more than likely sync with iCloud properly, as long as the calendar settings are correct on the iPhone and on the Mac.

Kind regards,
David.
i'm not able to recreate the calendars like you're suggesting.
is it best to do it on the iphone or the computer?. ical on my computer doesn't let me select all on an event.
It's best to do it on the computer. Click File -> New Calendar.

When you want to select all events, make sure only the problem calendar is ticked in the calendar list.

Click one event, then Edit -> Select All.

Kind regards,
David.
tried that and it's not working. i've selected many events with numerous entries and "select all" is grayed out.

also, i need my iphone enteries to sync to my ical. i can't lose all my iohone entries. that is where this problem started that i can't sync my phone to my computer. My phone synced to ical on the first initial sync when I got the 4GS and hasn't since.

Your calendars will sync both ways once you copy the events to the new calendar.

You only select one event and then click Edit -> Select All.

Have you seen the calendar list?

Have you created the new calendar to paste the events into?

Deselect all calendars except the original one, or you might not be able to select all.

An event should go a bolder color when you click it. Then click Edit - Select All.

Kind regards,
David.
I have done everything you suggested and it's not working. Even if I can make new calendars on my laptop it's not going to help me with syncing all my appts from my phone.

Since Icloud should be syncing it. Is there a place to check your backup from icloud? Don't quite get the concept of iCloud.

Were you able to put all of your appointments in a new calendar? Did you go to iTunes after that, and select to sync the new calendar and click Apply?

It will help sync, all your calendars will sync with iCloud and therefore all your appointments.

Check System Preferences in the Apple menu, and iCloud for your calendar syncing preferences.

Delete the problem calendar after you have copied and pasted the appointments into it.

Kind regards,
David.
No. I could not put my appts into a new calendar. And I don't know if there is a problem calendar. the problem is my iphone calendar appt won't sync to my laptop. they are all the same calendar.

Lets take it one step at a time.

In iCal click File -New Calendar and create it on iCloud.

Let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,
David.
what do you mean create in on icloud? i have been able to make a new calendar and sync that to my phone.
but only the new calendar, nothing else will sync.

When you click File - New Calendar it should ask you what account to create it on.

Have you tried logging into iCloud?

Click on this link:

http://www.icloud.com

Sign in and complete the transition to iCloud.

Kind regards,
David.
when i click file>new calendar it just makes a new calendar, no option for icloud.

i logged into icloud and it has backed up alot of my calendar from my iphone but not all of it. not sure where the problem is...?? icloud has backed up different stuff than my laptop. they're not consistent with each other. wierd. any ideas why?

Not sure why, best to start from scratch with a new calendar.

First click Software Update in the  menu in the top left.

Install all updates.

Then go back to iCal. Delete all calendars except the one with all your appointments.

Then create a new calendar.

Then click on the original calendar, and click on one event. It highlights a darker shade.

Then Edit Select All, and Edit Copy, then select the new calendar and click Edit Paste.

Kind regards,
David.
but that will not help my iphone. i never make appts on my laptop right now it's all thru my phone.

But when you sync your phone the calendar will be put on your iPhone.

You shouldn't just create them in the iPhone in case the iPhone freezes and needs to be reset.

At the moment the calendar on the iCal is not syncing, so it should be replaced with a new one.

Then sync it in iTunes. Then check the iCloud settings on your iPhone.

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
David, Mac Support Specialist