Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Im using excel for Mac and when I open a worksheet that has

Customer Question
I'm using excel for Mac...
I'm using excel for Mac and when I open a worksheet that has multiple drop down boxes, (that work on other peoples macs) I only have one that works and the rest appear as empty cells? It must be a setting, can you help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2011
Mac Support Specialist: John D, BS Degree in Engineering replied 6 years ago
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering

I will be happy to help you with this. Do you have the file available that you could send

Here is how to send the file:

Go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

http://wikisend.com/download/501342/Calculator.xlsx

The yellow boxes all should have pull down menus.

Ok the only yellow cell that has a drop down list is cell G5. The others are all empty, possibly due to file corruption

I can repair the file and get the others to work but I need to source data for each drop down list

Also need the password XXXXX unprotect the sheet

John, It can't be a corrupt file because it works on other people systems just fine. It seems to be an issue with my laptop specifically. I'm guessing it might be an Excel setting???

It's been some time since we worked on this. Need to pull the file and review it again...

Will get back to you

Ok I want to know what exactly the problem is in that file? Please specify one of the cells that has that issue

any cell that is highlighted in yellow that does not have a pull down as part of it. They may all work fine on your end as it works on other computers here in our offices. On my computer the only cell that has a pulldown is the one that has the package name of Platinum, Gold, or Silver???

No Jerry as I told you I do not see any drop down lists in this file, except one

This same file will not have these drop down on any computer. You must be referring to another version of the file which is still intact

John,

I've re-uploaded the file. I only have one pull down when I open, however when I sent this same file to my secretary, she has pull downs on ALL yellow highlighted boxes?

http://wikisend.com/download/239702/Retro Calculator Final.xlsx

Jerry you are sending me the same file which is corrupted. Could you ask the secretary to upload her file and send you the download link so you can in turn pass it on to me

John,

Respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX hearing me. The file I sent you is the exact same file I sent to my secretary. I personally went to her desk, opend the file, and saw all of the drop downs. It seems to me this is a setting issue in excell that both your computer as well as my computer have in common. If you'd like, send me you email, and I'll have her forward you the exact email I sent her with the exact same file where she sees all of the drop downs.

Please advise.

Jerry I understand what you are saying but I need the file that she is using despite the fact it is the same file that you have sent her. Let her upload that file and send us the link

No we cannot use email here

OK, per your instuction I asked my assistant to upload the file from her computer. please find the link below.

Regards,

http://wikisend.com/download/308848/Retro

Thanks

Still the only drop down is in G5. However it is not computer related or an Excel setting issue, otherwise you will not see ANY drop downs

The file needs to be repaired. I can fix all the drop downs and guarantee that it will work on any system as shown in this sample file where G8 drop down has been reinstated. You should be able to see the drop down in G8

http://wikisend.com/download/255682/Retro%20Calculator%20Final.NEW.xlsx

OK, the password XXXXX the spreadsheet is ABN12345

Thanks,

Jerry, could you elaborate a little, i.e. please address the part of my question that you said ok to

Sorry John, I thought based on your last comment that you were going to repair the file and needed the password XXXXX do so? I said ok to you repairing it.

hmm...no that was not what I asked for in my last message.

Were you able to see the drop down in G8. If so I need the source data for the other drop downs so I can repair the file and set up the new drop downs

John,

I've sent you the password XXXXX you can access each sheet. All of the source data is on one of the sheets in the workbook you already have.

Thanks,

By the way, YES is the answer to you question, I could see the drop down in G8

Ok that confirms that the original file got corrupted. As said I can rebuild it for you if you can give me the source data for each drop down.

However, if you do not wish to do that (I am still prepared to continue helping you with) (Edited by Moderator)

Thank you

John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
John, I disagree and don't accept your answer. The same file that you have shows dropdown boxes for all of the yellow-highlighted areas on ALL other computers in my office! It's only on my computer and I guess yours that it's not working on? If the file were corrupt as you've stated it would be corrupt on other peoples computers as well would it not? I'd like a sound resolution and then I am happy to assept and move on. I assure you I'm more frustrated with this than you are.

Opting Out. Good bye

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Guy was arrogant and did not have the correct answer. Additionally he asked me to accept his answer prior to me getting the resolution to my issue.
Mac Support Specialist: Freddy M., Computer Technician replied 6 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Technician
I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the previous expert. You mentioned it works on other peoples mac's are they using the same version of excel as you (or an older version for example)? Also if you don't want to continue let me know as well so I can have this closed for you.
Dimmusacio,

I knew the last guy was an idiott!!! I was on a different version of Excel. I have now upgraded to the latest version as it work fine. I should charge the other guy for my time. Anyway, thank you and I'll be accepting your answer with my thanks!!!

You actually accepted the other expert but I will have it transferred thank you for the accept it is greatly appreciated. I also sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the other expert if you need our help again you can always get me by requestiong dimmusacio.
Thnaks, you'll be the only one I request!

Your welcome
John D
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering