Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

How can I get my iomega external hard drive to back up my

How can I get my iomega external hard drive to back up my computer?
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike,

I have MacOsX 10.5.8. I ran first aid/ verify disk and then verify disk permissions. It said Permissions repair complete. There were lots permissions on the list that were found as differing or not expected. Repair Disk is dimmed.

Now what do I do?

Thanks,
Norma
Was Verify Disk OK? If so also Verify disk on the Iomega.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I followed the procedure you described on both my hard drive and the iomega drive. Permissions repair complete on both.

Now what?

Thanks,
norma
Ok you should only be able to Repair Permissions on your internal drive did you mean Verify Disk was OK on both?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, I did the same thing on both: Verify and Repair.
Ok I would erase the backup drive and start your backup over again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THIS MAY BE A STUPID QUESTION--- But how do I erase my backup drive, and how do I start it again?
As I said in my initial question, I can't find a menu for the backup drive (like all my other pull-down menus). Up to now, I just plugged it in and it looked like it started. (but it never finished).
Ok in Disk Utility select the drive on the left and then on the Erase tab make sure the Format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) click on erase.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It said disk erase failed with the error "could not unmount the disk". I tried it with the screen image of the drive selected and not selected. It gave me the same response either way.
Oh sorry you have to turn off Time Machine first in System Preferences .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So it is Time Machine that has the menu to operate the external hard drive?
Not to operate but yes to turn it on and off not to see your backups that is the Time Machine icon in the Dock.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I turned off time machine, but I am still getting the same answer when I try to erase.
So then I checked "Security" and it had "do not erase" selected. I checked "zero erase" and tried again.
Still got the same answer. Checked Security again and the check mark had gone back to "do not erase".
Tried this several times.
Are you sure Time Machine is off and are you sure you are selecting the right drive? If so restart and try again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am selecting the right drive. Time Machine is off. I restarted. Now it is telling me it can't open the drive.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Volume Erase failed with the error:

Could not unmount disk.
And you restarted with Time Machine off? Can you send me a screen shot of the Disk Utility window?

To take a sceen shot hold down Shift and Command (⌘) and then hit the number 3, you will hear a click and the picture will be in Pictures or Desktop folder.

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You should have the screen shot now.
Got it... Time Machine is still on I can tell from the icon at the top of the screen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just took a pic of the time machine showing it is off (I had to open the lock to make it visible, but it was off before I unlocked it).
Weird the icon in the menu should be grayed out. Ok restart do not open any other apps except Disk Utility then choose the Hitachi device above that not the volume and try to erase
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
pic 3 --- with the lock on the pic IS greyed.
pic 5 --- It wouldn't let me put in the Hitachi name. Same message.
I was referring to the Time Machine icon being grayed out it is not. In pic 5 it seems you CAN select erase right, same message?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I keep getting same message.

I opened the log in the upper right hand corner. I am confused. It appears to say that the disk was erased even though each time it told me it couldn't.

I'll make a pic of part of the log.
Do you have another Mac?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a laptop. Hasn't been used in a while. I got the external hard drive to use with it so I would have stuff I need when I use it.
There is something that is trying to access your drive, that is why it won’t unmount I think if you plug it into the other Mac and try to erase it that should work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike,

I have to run an errand to the vet before they close. I'll try that when I get back.

Thanks,
Norma
Ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike,

I have tried erasing the hard drive on my laptop. Got the same message; can't unmount.
Now I am trying to erase the "free space"---it is doing that and said it will take 3 hours. I thought maybe there was something hidden that was the problem.

Something that turned up briefly on the iomega drive was an icon for mobile me---which i had immobilized because I don't want to use it. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it, but maybe it is causing the problems. Do you know how I can dump it? I tried to take it off the system preferences panel, but it wouldn't go.

I'll let you know tomorrow after the free space is erased if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Norma
That won’t really help. When it is mounted select it and Control click and go to Get Info under Permissions check the box to Ignore Permissions on this Voume then try again,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry--- I don't know what you mean. When "it" is mounted (what is "it")--- I don't see "Permissions" anywhere--- and "control click" I don't know how to do that. I apologize for knowing so little about this. Can you dumb it down a little for me, please?

Thanks,
Norma
No problem, when the drive is mounted on the desktop either right click on it or hold the Control key and left click you will see a menu go to Get Info you will see Permissons.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, Mike.
I will do that tomorrow --- guess I'll let the erase run now since it's started.

I'll be back in touch tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Norma
Ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike,

This morning, the free space erase was complete. But it still refused to erase the rest, with the same message.

I ejected the external hard drive from the laptop. Then I plugged it in to the iMac. It is humming, but it won't mount on the desktop. I took it back to the laptop, and it won't mount there, either.

It's beginning to look like the external drive is defective.

norma
I think you may be right. Does it have another connection other than USB?
If it does have FireWire I would try that if not go here to see if it is still under warranty:

https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14414

if not I would stay away from Iomega products I see a lot of problems with them. Good luck. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike,

Thank you for the information about the HD. I have contacted them, found that it was under warranty, and will send it back for replacement. Thank you for all your help. I will tell them I have accepted your work.

Thanks again,
Norma
Great thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike,

I now have a new iOmega external hard drive to replace the faulty one.
I have backed up my iMac with it.

Now I have 2 new questions:

1) I don't understand the Time Machine and there doesn't seem to be much information about it other than what is in the system preferences. I can't see how to have it back up in different schedules.

2) I am writing this on my MacBook Air. The Mail software that came with this laptop is not compatible with the MacOz X system. I was hoping I could remove it and use the Mail version that is now in my iOmega backup. Is that a good idea or is there a better solution?

Thanks,
Norma
Time Machine backs up every hour and you cannot change that. What is the error message you get with Mail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't get it to give me the message it did in the past. I have mail 3.6 on the laptop, and mail 3.6 on the iMac. All it will tell me now is this:

Unable to receive mail. There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check settings..... The server error encountered was: The server pop.rtmc.net cannot be contacted on port 110.

There is no problem getting online with Safari, and my usual server RTMC.net uses Google Mail app so I can get my mail--- I just don't like that format as much as getting it with "Mail".

Thanks,
Norma
Change the port to 993 or 995