Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a Brother Printer MFC 255/CW, When I print , it says

Customer Question
I have a Brother Printer...
I have a Brother Printer MFC 255/CW, When I print , it says Printer Offline. It is plugged in . It has ink and is on.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
11/2/2011
Mac Support Specialist: andymf1973,
 replied 6 years ago
andymf1973
Hello my name is Andy
I will deal with your issue as best as I can.
JustAnswer is the largest paid online Expert answers marketplace

This is the hard reset procedure, It may help in this case.....

Please turn off the printer from the mains wall socket and unplug it from your computer.
Have a cup of tea and then plug it back in and switch on.
Allow it to warm up and try printing again but this time from the notepad application.
You can find this under the "start button" and "under accessories" in "All Programs"
type something random and select "File" and Print
I have a new IMac. Does that change anything? Do I still have Notepad?
Mac Support Specialist: andymf1973,
 replied 6 years ago
No that's fine

How are the prints now?

All the best
I don't have anything under my start button because it is on the back of my computer. I donot have an under accesories or all programs option. So I cannot do what you request. My printer is still off line.
Mac Support Specialist: andymf1973,
 replied 6 years ago
Ok

Did you restart the mac and also the printer?

Ps does the printer copy?
Yes and printer is still not working.
Mac Support Specialist: andymf1973,
 replied 6 years ago
Ok

I will pass this question over to the mac experts.
I believe the printer isn't at fault here.

All the best
i am sorry I didn't mention that I had a Mac originally. Thank you for passing the question on.
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 6 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

You said this is a new Mac, what OS X is on it? Lion 10.7 or Snow Leopard 10.6?
Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.

How is the printer connected to the iMac?
hi dan , version 10.6.8 / processor 2.5 ghz intel core i5 w/ a single wire from printer
Ok, then you may just need to add the printer to your system.

Printer addition 10.6 That PDF explains how. If that gives you trouble let me know, I can break it down.

dan, i did sys prefs. it showed my printer there.
In that case right click in the printer list (that is where it shows the printer) and select reset printing system. Then click the + to add the printer and follow the prompts.

i got to add printer, tried to add, but nothing i did would respond
Ok, what kind of keyboard do you have? USB or wireless?
wireless
Can you lay your hands on a USB keyboard of any kind?
I ask because what I want you to do next is much, much easier with a wired keyboard than a wireless.
It involves holding key combos while starting up and the wireless keyboard comes on lone too late to see them.

looked around and no luck
Ok, then pay close attention to this, timing is everything.

Apple Wireless Keyboards will not recognize pressing and holding down startup keys during startup until the startup chime sound is heard. This is normal behavior. You may find it helpful to press and hold startup key combinations while the startup chime is playing. Two common startup key combinations are listed below.

Resetting PRAM

Press and hold the Command + Option + P + R keys while the startup chime is playing.

Try that and then add the printer.

Daniel, Mac Genius