Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have been receiving a message that the Comcast server has

Customer Question
rejected my password. This has...
I have been receiving a message that the Comcast server has rejected my password. This has appeared more than 50 times in the last week. Now it appears every time I try to use the Mail program. I telephone Comcast and they stated the issue was with the Mail server. I would like to have this problem resolve, preferably by having this feature on my computer permanently disabled.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
11/2/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 6 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
I have completed all the steps you have outlined. This has not helped the problem I have described. I tried an e-mail and receive the same message. It rejects my password. My password XXXXX XXXXX - maybe I need to change my password? Ideally, you will show me the way to disable this feature as it is an ongoing problem and has been ever since I purchased this computer.
You did not give me the info I asked for, also:

So Verify Disk was OK in green and then you Repaired Permissions?
"First I need some information" - but you do not say what information you need. I went through all the steps you outlined. I clicked Verify Disk - it was ok. Clicked on Repair Permissions and ran for about 10 minutes. When it finished there were no more steps to take. I then tried Mail and received the same message as befores.
Mac OS 10.5.8
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1097 MHz DDRS
Ok go to Utilities folder to Keychain Access open that and go to Keychain Access Keychain First Aid and click on Repair. Let me know of you see any in red.
Mac OS 10.5.8
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1097 MHz DDRS

Waiting for a response. Haven't heard from you for about 20 minutes.
Yes I did please look again:

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/5rtqr-receiving-message-comcast-server.html

Ok go to Utilities folder to Keychain Access open that and go to XXXXX First Aid and click on Repair. Let me know of you see any in red.
Keychain access was opened; there is no Keychain First Aid and nothing to show Repair
Go to the word Keychain Access next to the Apple logo
Don't know where this is. I tried to open the Mail program to change to without a password, no luck. Frankly, I think this the software for this program is fried.
So you were even not able to find the Keychain Access program? Go to the Spotlight icon at the very top of your screen ( magnifying glass) and type in Keychain Access then open it
So far, I have no luck with your advice.
I was able to find the Keychain Access program.
No problem.
Unfortunately, there is no "Keychain First Aid" and also no "repair"
I did check my comcast password XXXXX found that "larrynina" had been changed by cosmic ray to "larynina"
So I change that back to "larrynina" but that did not help.
I think my system must be unique. Lots of interesting advice but no solution so far.
There is ABSOULUETLEY a Keychain Access first aid you are missing it:

graphic
I like your keychain access. Mine is different. There is no Keychain access first aid. Maybe it wasn't installed with my software? I don't want to sound dumb, but I have NOTHING like what you show. There is NOTHING next to the Apple logo that shows Keychain access.
I cannot copy what I have so I will try to type in what it shows.
Keychains
login
System @ smtp.comcast,net
System Roots Kind:internet password
Where:smtp://smtp.comcast.net.587
Modified: Today 9:13 pm
Category
All items
Passwords
Certificates
My certificates
Keys
Secure Notices
That is not possible when Keychain Access program is open you will see the word Keychain Access next to the Apple logo please check again.

graphic
I have to sign off for tonight if you want to continue you can get me after aboutXXXXXUSA. Thank you.
After your last message my computer crashed, wiping out our correspondence via Safari. Of course I could not receive your e-mails.
Today I tried Comcast once again and this time I spoke with someone who actually had knowledge of the problem; it was with Comcast. I have had to change all the Comcast settings so now I receive e-mails. Comcast is having many problems with its server for my outgoing mail so it is possible you will not receive this e-mail until well after I have sent it (now it is 10:02 am.
Thank you for your assistance. I am willing to pay you the $58 but need you to send me something so that I can acknowledge your assistance.
Larry Brookes
OK great and thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Did you click on Accept?
Mike, Mac Medic