Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Firefox will not run Close Firefox A copy of Firefox is

Customer Question
Firefox will not run: "Close Firefox A...
Firefox will not run:
"Close Firefox
A copy of Firefox is already open. Only one copy pof Firefox can be open at a time"
but I don't see it open, have deleted all Firefox/Mozilla files I can find and downloaded FF again.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/2/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 6 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
You have to restart it is just stuck in memory.
I got into your answer on this other computer. Don't know what the macbookPro's issue is - it sometimes behaves differently from this iMac, anyway....

Nope. Restart/ReBoot does not help. Firefox is in my start-up list and always says:

"Close Firefox A copy of Firefox is already open Only one copy of Firefox can be open at a time"

I click OK to flush the dialog box, then click Firefox to start it from the dock or Apps folder - same thing.

Hmmmm - reset PRAM?

Or a virtual memory problem? I don't know how to clear that out.

I am a seasoned mac user since the first mac in Houston.
(before that an Apple ][ shipped with a whopping 48 kb of RAM haha!)

No hurry, I'm giving for the day and heading to bed....I can use Chrome but I'm kinda attached to Firefox which does more for me.

the Firefox issue is on my:
iMac 2.4 GB Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Fixed Disk 499 GB, ~ 85 GB used

FF runs fine on the macbookPro.
Take it off your startup list then add the right one and search for the duplicate to trash it.
Mike, Mac Medic
Did you try that?
Yes, deleted from startup list, deleted all Firefox/Mozilla files I could find, downloaded Firefox anew as I said. Same problem:

"Close Firefox
A copy of Firefox is already open. Only one copy of Firefox can be open at a time"

This is getting me nowhere - do we need to escalate this problem?
You never gave me the system version.
Oops - I thought I did:

Mac OSX 10.7.2
Firefox 7.0.1

iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

internal HD 499 GB, 84.6 GB used.
Reboot and hold the Option key until you see your boot drives, then choose the Recovery HD, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions.

I have to sign off for tonight if you want to continue you can get me after aboutXXXXXUSA. Thank you.
Any luck?
Back with you Mike - had to be in Houston this am.

Rebooted to Recovery HD
Verified Macintosh HD "....Volume appears to be OK"
Repaired permissions "...repair complete"
Reboot - click Firefox - same problem:

Go to Spotlight and type in Firefox there must be a duplicate
AHA!!
No duplicate as such BUT
'firefoxsynchkey" on desktop
copy to other HD (not sure why I'm keeping it)
trash desktop "firefoxsynchkey" file
Voila! FF runs.
Mike, Mac Medic