Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I cant get my ipod 2 to hook up to my netgear router wnd2

Customer Question
I can't get my ipod...
I can't get my ipod 2 to hook up to my netgear router wnd23700v2.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mac
11/1/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Kevin N, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 6 years ago
Kevin N
Kevin N, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is Kevin and I will be assisting you today.

Can you tell me the brand and model number of your modem also please?

Are you familiar with how to log into your router and adjust settings?

Hi kevin

my hughesnet modem is a DSS955250 modle.donot know how to log into my router to adjust setting.

Hi!

Use the computer directly plugged into the Netgear, not a wireless connection. Open your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.) and enter this address:

http://www.routerlogin.net/ or http://192.168.1.1/ (whichever will work)

A login prompt will appear:

Username: admin

Password: password

If the login fails, this means it was changed at the time of router installation. Let me know if that is the case.

Once logged in, click Wireless Settings on the left side of the screen.

Rename the Network Name (SSID) to something different - anything you have not used in the past will work. This will be your new network name.

Change the Security Mode to WPA2-PSK(AES). Enter a password of at least 8 characters in the Passphrase box - this will be your new wireless password.

Save the settings, then try connecting to the new network name with your iPad - enter the password when prompted and you should now connect.

Wireless Settings
Region Selection
Region:nort americaAfricaAsiaAustraliaCanadaEuropeIsraelJapanKoreaMexicoMiddle EastSouth AmericaNorth America
Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Enable SSID Broadcast -no
Enable Wireless Isolation -yes
Name (SSID):---thorlton
Channel:--------autoAuto 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11
Mode:-----------300Up to 54 Mbps Up to 130 Mbps Up to 300 MbpsUp to 54 Mbps
Security Options
None
WEP
WPA-PSK [TKIP]
WPA2-PSK [AES] this one
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise
Security Options (WPA2-PSK)
Passphrase : dogschow(8-63 characters or 64 hex digits)
Wireless Network (5GHz a/n)
Enable SSID Broadcast no
Enable Wireless Isolation yes
Enable Video Network
Name (SSID):thorlton
Channel:----4436 40 44 48 149 153 157 161 -44
Mode:----300Up to 54 MbpsUp to 130 MbpsUp to 300 Mbps Up to 54 Mbps
Security Options
None
WEP
WPA-PSK [TKIP]
WPA2-PSK [AES] -----this one
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise
Security Options (WPA2-PSK)
I did as you asked.Copy above .It did not work
Did you rename the network as part of the setup to give the iPad a new network to connect to?

yes i did.I chaned It from Customer to thorlton, and used a 8 didit passphrase.It still does not work.

you will get paid for sure when and if you can fix my problem.

brad

Sounds like a challenge ;)

Let's upgrade the firmware of the router - everything should connect after that.

Follow the instructions on this link:

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19250

There are instructions to save a file to your desktop, then log into your router and click Maintenance>Router Upgrade. Complete the process - it will take a minute or two.

After the router has restarted, turn off your computer, then press and hold the reset button on the back of the Netgear with a pen or paperclip for 15 seconds, then release.

Power off the Netgear by unplugging the AC adapter - wait 60 second, then power it on. Wait one more minute, then power on your computer.

There are a couple of other modifications to these setup instructions.

Open your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.) and enter this address:

http://www.routerlogin.net/

A login prompt will appear:

Username: admin

Password: password

Rename the Network Name (SSID) of both the 2.4GHz network and 5GHz network to something different - anything you have not used in the past will work. This will be your new network name.

Change the Security Mode of both networks to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]. Enter a password of at least 8 characters in the Passphrase box - this will be your new wireless password.

Change the Wireless Channel of the 2.4GHz network to 11, then save the settings.

Kevin N
Kevin N
Kevin N, Computer Hardware Engineer