Mac

My computers browser, Safari, has repeatedly crashed. I own…

Customer Question
My computer's browser, Safari, has...
My computer's browser, Safari, has repeatedly crashed. I own a Mac OS X 10.6.8 with GB memory, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 13. A couple of times it has recovered enough for me to "reset" some functions but then crashed again. I don't know enough to execute any repair, and certainly don't know why it crashed. The report on the crash is unintelligible to... Read full answer
My computer's browser, Safari, has repeatedly crashed. I own a Mac OS X 10.6.8 with GB memory, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 13. A couple of times it has recovered enough for me to "reset" some functions but then crashed again. I don't know enough to execute any repair, and certainly don't know why it crashed. The report on the crash is unintelligible to me. The message says Apple will be informed, but does that help me? Anyone there who can help?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/20/2011
Mac Support Specialist: Mac Tech, Apple Specialist replied 7 years ago
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Have you installed all of the current Software Updates on your Mac?
I declined an update re Word today because I didn't have time to install it. This problem extends back several days, maybe a week.
Open Finder and go to Applications. Within Applications, locate Utilities. Start Disk Utility. Click on your Hard Drive and the run "Repair Disk Permissions". Run this twice as well.

If you're still having trouble with Safari:

Close Safari.

Open Finder.

Locate your Home Directory (The one with the little house).

Click on it, then go to Library, click on it (it will open up or twist out).

Next locate the Preferences folder. Click on it to open it.

Scroll down until you find "com.apple.Safari.plist".

Drag that file to your desktop.

You can reopen Safari now.

Reply back if that did not fix the problem.
Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Rick: I opened Applications then got to Utilities but found nothing named Hard Drive. Lots and lots of utilities, however. Is it hiding under another term?
The utility you're looking for under Utilities is call "Disk Utility"
Disk utility, yes. Written there is
Optiarc DVD RW AD-5
500.11 GBST3500418A
and
Select a disk, volume or image
Select the internal hard drive.

From what you typed it looks like 500gb.
"Your volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok"
That's the message I got after verifying the disk
Now what?
Sounds like you ran verify disk,

Run "Repair Disk Permissions" twice
"Permissions repair complete" x 2
Done. Next?
Open Finder.

Drag that file to your desktop.

You can reopen Safari now.

I'm getting tired and confused. What I find under preferences is "system preferences app." What I find re Safari is "Safari copy app" (which I used a month or so ago when Safari totally disappeared from the dock) and "Safari app". Yes, I should have mentioned that what i've been using for a browser is a Safari copy. But anyway, here I am looking for "com.apple.Safari.plist" and can't find it. I wonder if we can postpone Final Solution until tomorrow after noon?
Sure.

Reply back when ready to continue-
Roger willco, as they used to say.
Stuart
10-4
Rick: What I finally did was adopt Mozilla Firefox. Thanks for your help.
That's a good solution. I don't use Safari myself.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I just picked up an Imac 20 model A1224 and I was trying to
Hello, I just picked up an Imac 20 model A1224 and I was trying to load some software online and was having a problem. I was trying to load CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Icecream Screen Recorder does any… read more
I have the same issue as this thread: this is what EtreCheck returned EtreCheck version:
I have the same issue as this thread: this is what EtreCheck returned EtreCheck version: 2.9.11 (264) Report generated 2016-04-27 01:51:23 Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com Runtime 2:56 Pe… read more
We have OS 10.6.8 and want to convert our imac to El
Hi we have OS 10.6.8 and want to convert our imac to El Capitan, it keeps pausing before it finishes loading and then we cannot see how to re-start the download.… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Stop searching for answers—
my Mac crashed when upgrading to Yoseminte. Had to erase hard
my Mac crashed when upgrading to Yoseminte. Had to erase hard rive and reinstall Mac OS. That was fine and up and running, but the App disc would not upload. How can I download and install iPhoto? and… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
My iMac OS X, version 10.8.5, has this information on its hardware
My iMac OS X, version 10.8.5, has this information on its hardware overview: Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac10,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz Number of Processors… read more
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack
I have an IMAC 27, the DVD player has started rejecting almost
I have an IMAC 27, the DVD player has started rejecting almost half of my DVDs. I am located in central America and service is very limited. Can I use an Apple external drive with this unit? Model Nam… read more
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Systems Administrator,
Diplom
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
For some reason when I want to view a .pdf through an online
For some reason when I want to view a .pdf through an online site it loads and initializes but never shows up. Is this a setting on my safari that I need to change?… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
iMac 2.93 GHz intel Core 2 Duo, 6 GB RAM, running 10.6.8. In
iMac 2.93 GHz intel Core 2 Duo, 6 GB RAM, running 10.6.8. In the last couple of months the machine has begun to spontaneously log me out, quitting all applications suddenly, and returning me to the lo… read more
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer
I have a Mac OS X, version 10.6.8, Processor 2/4 GHz Intel
I have a Mac OS X, version 10.6.8, Processor 2/4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. My question: how can I increase the volume in Safari? Thanks, Fred… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Has anyone been able to isolate why MS Word for Mac 2008 freezes?
Has anyone been able to isolate why MS Word for Mac 2008 freezes? My wife has been editing documents with track changes and comments, and Word freezes at random intervals, usually in the midst of an a… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
My mac has been much slower recently than usual......It's
My mac has been much slower recently than usual......It's very frustrating. I downloaded some videos for work (total was about 20 minutes of video). I can't imagine that would cause this sort of slowi… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
this is 9 mos. later and I am having the same problem. can
this is 9 mos. later and I am having the same problem. can anyone answer it? not only does the eraser keep appearing but at times the color won't work. I try trashing cs4 and hold down command, option… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Mac Book with the operating system 10.4.11. I use
I have a Mac Book with the operating system 10.4.11. I use Safari as my browser. Now Safari is telling me I need to upgrade but my os system is not compatible. How can I up grade my os system, can I d… read more
Toby K.
Toby K.
Team Lead/Technical Support Specialist,
i want to order word perfect for my computer---Ihave a MacOS
i want to order word perfect for my computer---Ihave a MacOS X Version 10.6.8 witha 3.06 GHz processor Intel Core i3--this is for home use-- i don't know which one to get--please help!!!… read more
Mac Support Specialist,
I have a MacBook currently running OS X 10.6.8. It has a 2
I have a MacBook currently running OS X 10.6.8. It has a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processer and 4 GB of memory. Can my laptop run OS X Lion?… read more
Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben
Software Engineer,
I have a screen saver from useless creations. I paid for it,
I have a screen saver from useless creations. I paid for it, and they sent me instructions on how to get it into the library on my System Preferences file, but I can't seem to make it work. Can you ta… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
My InDesign keeps crashing. I am working in InDesign and
My InDesign keeps crashing. I am working in InDesign and had multi documents opened. They are a series of publications and all have the same master setting. I loaded all the document character setting… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
I have Version 9.0.2 provided by my employer (Baylor College
I have Version 9.0.2 provided by my employer (Baylor College of Dentistry) for my professional use at home. I've just purchased CS5 Extended(upgrade). Before I open the package, I'd like to be sure th… read more