OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I want to email the contents of a webpage (an invoice generated

Customer Question

I want to email the contents of a webpage (an invoice generated from a cloud accounting program) using my iPad2. I know you can email a link, but that does not work as the page is unique each time. Thanks. Bob
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes

OSXpert :

great

OSXpert :

Does all of the content fit into one screen on the iPad?

OSXpert :

or do you have to scroll through it?

Customer:

It is an invoice, so it depends how many line items are on it. It might fit on one page in some cases, but not guaranteed

OSXpert :

well, I think the best way to make this work is to take a screen shot. This will capture the contents of the screen to a picture in your photo library

OSXpert :

To capture the screen, press the home (center, bottom) button and the sleep / wake button (top right, rectangular) simultaneously, hold them for a second then release

Customer:

That's a bit clunky, and not very professional looking - I want to email the invoice to customers. I have been looking for an app that might at least convert the contents to a pdf. Any thoughts?

OSXpert :

well, unfortunately the iPad doesn't have much functionality as a laptop -- I suppose Apple considers that more laptop functionality :)

What format is the invoice in? What are you using to create it?

Customer:

It is a cloud based accounting package called ezyaccounts.com. I don't know what for it is in. I do know that in IE on a PC the webpage emails perfectly - and seamlessly. Safari on Macs have an email contents, but not on iPad

OSXpert :

So, are you saying the website itself has an option to email the invoices (excluding the iPad)? Or this is a feature (3rd party add-on) of the browsers you're using?

Customer:

It's not a website action. Internat Explorer has Send>Page by email; Safari has Email Contents of Webpage

OSXpert :

gotcha, let me see if there is something else I can suggest. Have you tried webtoolbox+ by any chance? I believe it has an option to export a page as a PDF

Customer:

No I haven't tried that. I did try one app, Web to PDF, but that didn't work. Webtoolbox+ seems to get bad reviews

OSXpert :

I've mixed results, but I don't know of many options out there aside from capturing the screen. It may be worth a shot

Customer:

Have you used webtoolbox+ to save a webpage as a pdf?

OSXpert :

I've only seen it used by others, I don't have a copy of it

Customer:

I've downloaded it and give it a shot

OSXpert :

okay, let me know what you think. we can also try using good reader, do you have it?

Customer:

webtoolbox+ doesn't work - it attempts to go to the url in the address bar to look up the content rather than save the actual contant on the screen, but as it is a secure page, it is not permitted access.

OSXpert :

bummer, if it's using SSL (https://) then good reader won't work either

Customer:

It is https://

OSXpert :

To be honest, I don't think we're going to get this to work, we might be able to use a different browser, but failing that, I don't think it's going to work.

Customer:

bummer

OSXpert :

However, I don't want to deny you the opportunity to get the input of another expert, I can opt-out to give someone else a chance

Customer:

if you think that would help, Britton...

OSXpert :

one second, let me look at other browsers first

OSXpert :

stand by, I'm just checking to see if the Atomic Browser has a feature that might work for you

OSXpert :

Maybe try ReaddleDocs -- I haven't used it but it looks like it's gotten great reviews and it looks like it can export web pages as documents

Customer:

I'll have a look.

OSXpert :

Are you still with me? It looks like you've left the chat session...

Customer:

Unfortunately, none of this has helped resolve the issue. I have just discovered that Apple are releasing a new OS version tomorrow and this matter should be resolved within that. Thought you guys would be on top of such things?

OSXpert :

iOS 5 releases on Wednesday, this is the new version of the OS for your iPad. I have reviewed the feature list, I don't think this feature is part of iOS 5. Did you try ReaddleDocs?

Customer:

mmm...kind of does it. You need to operate from inside the app's own browser - but doesn't do everything well. But a good start. Thanks Britton.

Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.
I posted another message about trying iCab (web browser available in the App store), but I don't see it in the list. Did you try it? It looks like it might be a good solution assuming your web page loads in it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That post didn't show up. I'll give it a shot. Thanks. By the way, what part of the world are you in? I'm in Australia.
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted. I'm in the USA, it's 10:15pm here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Britton, I've already accepted your answer. It keeps popping up asking me to do that.